Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Xperia Arc pictures and videos wont open and shows black screen in gallery

Hi

All the pictures and videos i took yesterday wont play on my xperia arc phone. When i go into gallery all the thumbnails are there but are black and when i try open them it just says loading and wont open. I transferred them to my laptop and they wont play either and the message says ++Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file++. all the other pics and videos on my phone taken before yesterday work fine...When i take a picture now i can see the picture while viewing through camera mode but then i go to gallery it is black.

Please help in anway if you can.

Thanks

Master
nolramlb

Re: Xperia Arc pictures and videos wont open and shows black screen in gallery

try to clear camera and gallery data, settings> apps>manage app> look for camera/gallery tap on clear data. reboot

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks for reply...I tried what you said and it worked for a few minutes but now the new photos are black thumbnails that won't open...any other ideas would be appreciated...thanks

Master
nolramlb

1.) try to perform a factory data reset

2.) repair with SUS

*warning* both procedure will erase the phone's data, so better have a back up of important files/data

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

One time poster
Murphy_Idek

try downloading QuickPic application from Google Play...
its the best photo gallery to replace the stock Sony Media gallery...
if the problem persists,repair using SUS :smileyhappy:

One time poster
seamo123

Re. QuickPic- I have a problem when I try to assign a picture to a contact - when you pick a picture, choose 'set as' and then try and assign the picture to a contact it just doesn't work. The picture to be assigned opens up normally with the margins to be set (edit mode), BUT fades away for an instant and then comes back. When you set the margins and click the floppy disc icon (in the top right hand corner) to 'save' the picture the screen goes totally black and you eventually just have to exit the program. I'm fairly sure that this feature used to work fine up until recently. I've even gone as far as to do a factory reset on my phone, reflash my phone's ROM and reinstall the QuickPic app. No change though, I still can't set a contact picture.

Any idea what might be wrong? My phone is a Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray.

PS I e-mailed the developer and he's no help at all - he says there's a problem with Sony phones but quite frankly I don't believe him..

One time poster
Murphy_Idek

yes,i encountered that problem too...

i think it is because Sony Ericsson phone contacts doesn't support high resolution pictures...

so,my solution was and still is; viewing pictures using QuickPic but setting contacts pictures using stock Sony gallery.

i hope this helps :smileyhappy:

One time poster
seamo123

Yeah, I've been doing the same thing, it's a pain in the neck though! :-)

I wonder if there's a build.prop tweak out there that could change the picture quality and sort out the problem? I must have a look..

One time poster
Murphy_Idek

you're not alone my friend :smileyhappy:

so far,i haven't found any picture-viewers as good as QuickPic,and looking at it that it only cant assign contact pictures,im really okay with it :smileysilly:

i think even if Sony phone contacts pictures managed to use high resolution pictures,it would make the phone lags substantially during making & receiving calls.

btw,are you still on GB or on ICS already?

One time poster
seamo123

I was on ICS 4.0.3 & then 4.0.4 but I just ended up flashing back to GB - ICS 4.0.3 was rubbish and there's an LED notification bug on 4.0.4 that was a deal breaker for me in the end! :-)

You might see that I started a discussion recently asking if Sony has any plans to fix the bug - but they are less than helpful as you can see! ;-)