Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Xperia Arc keeps restarting itself

Hi, 

After many months of ownership and putting up with this problem and being fobbed off by the shop I took the phone from to perform upgrades etc I am finally fed up with my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc resetting itself on the slightest of knocks it recieves.  I am very knowledgable on computers etc, build them and know for a fact this MUST be a hardware problem or design flaw as it ONLY happens when the phone receives the slightest taps or knocks...eg in my pocket and my hand my tap my pocket whilst walking.  Or simply placing the phone on a table is enough to make it restart if i dont place it down veeeeeeeeeeery gently like its a bloody bomb waiting to explode!!  Personally I wish it would, at least then I'd get a replacement!!

I'd like Sony to admit there is a problem with some of these models, recall them and give me a replacement as I can see simply from this forum that its not uncommon and the moderators here are simply suggesting to update the software which solves nout when it comes to this problem!

PLEASE some help!!  I still have 18 months to go on this bloody contract and despite being a fan of Sony products, TV's, sound systems and even the phones this has put me off so much I am seriously considering never buying Sony again!!  Hell am even starting rate this phone below the Apple IPhone!

Regards,

David

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Xperia Arc keeps restarting itself

I don't think it's a design flaw, or the problem would be more widespread (and considering my two year old nephew launched my Arc across the room at the weekend, luckily it bounced off a sofa first!, and it never restarted)

Could be a hardware fault though.

One thing to try - does the battery feel loose at all? or for that matter, the rear cover? I'm sure someone else (i think it was on this forum) had a loose battery...

Anonymous(anon)

http://www.xperiablog.net/2011/05/12/xperia-arc-suffering-from-random-reboot-issue/

It has already been getting reported about since back in May and even with previous sony ericssons. 

You are right it is not massively widespread but on that website alone there are over 1700 people who have responded to the online survey saying they have experienced this problem so it clearly is a problem with a good number of the sony ericsson phones.  And more and more people are realizing that simply placing the phone on the table can cause the restart.

There must have been a bad batch made or something with so many people experiencing this!

I've left my phone at someone elses house so when i get it back i'll see if battery feels loose!  The cover has always felt fine though.

Anonymous(anon)

Can you try to perform a software/firmwware repair using PC Companion to see if ot helps.

Connect your phone to the PC via the USB cable

The repair option on PC Companion (Support Zone --> Update --> Repair).

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/mobilephones/downloads/subject/pccompanion/xperiaarc?cc=au&l...

Please backup your phone data and settings before proceeding.

Anonymous(anon)

If that did not work, can you try the SE Update service

http://dl-www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/110/61/1317636927/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.10.7.exe

Download, install and launch the update service. Follow the onscreen prompts.

Please backup your phone data and settings before proceeding.

Anonymous(anon)

I had the same problem and i am pretty sure that it's hardware problem.

try this:

1. remove back cover

2. remove battery

3. place some paper (little piece) between the phone and battery in the bottom part of phone

Paper should be placed on thin edge opposite to sim card slot. In this way you will push battery up.

After I did this my phone never restarted for 3 months (only when i manually restart it)

Anonymous(anon)

by the way - my battery didn't feel loose at all when phone was restarting

Anonymous(anon)

Well phone doesnt even switch on or charge anymore!!  Tried 3 different chargers and computer and no life at all in the phone. 

Its only a few months old so i went to Phones 4 u, where I bought it, as they are still responsible to repair or replace it.  But as it wont charge I've lost everything I had on the phone, pictures, videos, messages some of which were very important to me! 

Thanks for the replies though but I already stated its not a software problem.  Think I'll sell the phone when it comes back and buy the Samsung Galaxy which critics have been rating as the best smartphone around at the moment!

Anonymous(anon)

Know this is going to be a pain, but we had exactly the same problem with my wife`s phone from Phones for U.

1) Backup all contact details.

2) Factory Reset Phone wipe the lot start from fresh.

3) Ensure the first thing you do is sign in with your gmail account.  - I do not know why but whenever the wife does not do this none of the google services (calender/mail/piccassa etc ) set up correctly.

4) restore contacts.

5) carry on and enjoy.

we did this in the shop with phones for u and its not failed since.

My phone was fine...I did these steps automatically due to having HTC Hero previous to the SE Arc.

Anonymous(anon)

My phone started rebooting every time the 3G was on and there was no wifi nearby. It was non-stop, until battery was dead.

Tried PC companion fix and didn't work. Sent to repair for software fix and it didn't work either. Now it went for hardware repair. Will let you know the outcomes.