Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
maRRRco

Re: Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection

Here the terrible situation about Wifi and my university Access point

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/15/screenshot201203191009.png

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7646/screenshot201203191108.png

For unknown reason the one access point i use is composed by a series of different signals with the same SSID, but it is probably a feature. Like you can see, these signals drops every 1 or 2 seconds and in these moments the app Wifi Analyzer say "no connection", so really can't receive beacons or any information, en fact the network disappear itself from the list for the same 1 or 2 seconds. This results in a very slow connection and long load page time, different from other android phone !!!

The wifi icon is locked only few times disappear, but this is the terrible situation.

If someone can explane me ..... :smileycry:

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Johan,

I really appreciate you actually looking into this for us.  I just want to now add another, possibly unrelated, piece to the puzzle.

I've been following this thread for a while now since I got a new arc s and it doesn't work with the wifi at home but worked everywhere else (school, parents' house, randomly found signals outside, etc.).  At home my phone showed that it was connected, there were no "limited connectivity messages" and I could access my router from my phone and saw that the phone was listed as a DHCP client, but I couldn't get "out" to the rest of the internet world.

I tried everything; updating router firmware, tweaking beacon intervals, channels, type of signal, etc.  Nothing worked.  Finally, I tried to switch routers with my parents since I could get signal at their house. To make a long story short, once I was done the setup, I found I still got a useable connection from my router at my parents' house!  Turns out it was the Static DNS channels to blame.  So here it is:

Before:

Static DNS 1: 192.168.100.254

Static DNS 2: 38.8.82.2

Static DNS 3: 142.161.130.154

(with these settings the phone looked like it was connected but couldn't access the internet)

After: (i switched channels 2 and 3 around

Static DNS 1: 192.168.100.254

Static DNS 2: 142.161.130.154

Static DNS 3: 38.8.82.2

And voila, neither my arc s has nor my wife's ray has had any connection problem since.

So this sort of supports that it's not the phone's fault but the actual router settings.  I say "sort of" because all of my friends who have iphones could still connect to my initial setup while I couldn't.

One time poster
maRRRco

Ok, in your case is a simple problem with router

but i repeat the concept more times: the phone of course can connect to all router and Ap

and if can't, there is something wrong with the router or a defective unite. But ....

we reported different issue: sometimes disconnections with no reason, infinite loop, no connection after being out from the range of router and then again in, the drops continuous showed by me in the post before, etc

So the Xperia wifi works in every case, but no so well, it is unstable, it can drops in anything moment.

This should be fixed, the graph of my university college is terrible

why ? why the signal drops every 2 seconds ?

Anonymous(anon)

I agree Marrrco that your problem is definitely more severe and looks like it has a lot to do with the actual phone.  And in my case, why could all my friends with iphones and other devices easily connect to my router as it was?  I also had 2 computers hooked up wirelessly that never had any problems, just the phone did.  Something definitely has to be improved on in this next update.

Anonymous(anon)

Does this lose signal problem only happens to wifi? I found when I used my screen lock, I don't only lose wifi, I lose 3g signal as well. Which is strange, I didn't have this problem before, only from last weekend? So all the new phones will work fine and the problems only occur when you've had the phone for a while and certainly can not return it?

One time poster
alter95

I gave my phone to repair twice and each time I got a new one. I was told that they were unable to do anything with WiFi issue. Unfortunately, all phones had the same problem with WiFi. I wrote to Sony but they said that they didn't feel responsible for this problem and that this was just a minor issue. However, how is this possible that I got a faulty phone three times in a row if that's a rare problem ? Big minus to SE for their approach to customers, reliability and ability to solve problems with their products.

Anonymous(anon)

Same problem here...my arc s can't connect to wifi routers using channel above 9....to me too it' unbearable that I can't connect to routers using this channels...If i want to use a public hotspot in an hotel that uses ,for example,I could not be able to or I should ask to someone to change the channel...I want an official solution from Sony,I don't want to try to bypass the problem each time,also because all channells beyond 9 are quite busy by my neighbours and for this reason I chose channel 13 and now I have to change it...I'm angry for this

One time poster
alter95

I was wonderwing whether or not Sony forgot about us. So far they have just announced us what the problem is but they haven't said anything about fixing it. Is it to be read that since Xperia S has been realsed we are second category clients ?

One time poster
maRRRco

Just for knowing

now i had the possibility to try a Neo with the old firmware 3.0.xxxx android 2.3.3

it's a friend's phone, and the router used is a netgear dg834 v4

my Neo has 2.3.4 0.62

we could observe that in 2.3.3 version the connection dropped sometimes, about 3-4 times in half hour of web navigation, and then was more stable

my with 0.62 didn't drop

so something has been made, but not enough

also the 0.62 keeps dropping wifi connection, but few times

From Sony side

" The sound of silence " :smileyminus:

One time poster
HenokE

Where is JOHAN ...:smileysad: