Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection

New Xperia Arc S - purchased last week. Wifi has been unstable from day 1. Doesn't stay connected for 5 minutes when connected to the wifi at home. My housemate's phone, laptop and my laptop do not have any problems staying connected to the wifi for long periods of time! It's only my Arc S which drops off every now and then.

However, I have noticed that the connection has been very stable everytime when the phone was connected to the wifi at my work. Downloading apps was fast and was impressive. No problems staying connected. Any reason why the phone behaves that way?

Anonymous(anon)

Finally I changed my modem because it had a problem and with my new modem the WiFi is stable all the time.xperia Neo V

One time poster
alter95

I hope that Sony solves this problem fast. I also have problems with my wifi stability. It keeps breaking after 5 or less minutes. I must say that I'm really disappointed because the problem exists on other models of Sony's phones which are supposed to be high-end smartphones. Before i purchased my SE Xperia Arc S I had had a HTC smartphone. It was Wildfire, which doesn't have any problems with wifi and it's rather a low-end phone, So I hope that you solve this problem really fast because if you don't do this I and probobaly other costumers won't buy your products anymore.

Anonymous(anon)

I have the same problem in that my Xperia Arc will randomly drop its wifi connection from my home router – NetGear DG834G-V5.

It can last 5 minutes or half a day before it loses its wifi connection.

To regain a wifi connection I have to reboot the router.

All my other Wifi equipment continues to work perfectly so it would point to a fault with the phone.

However my phone works perfectly with the router at work (Cisco WAP4410N) so that would point to a fault with the NetGear router.

I therefore suspect the problem is a combination of router and phone which will  make it extremely difficult for SE to fix as they would need to cater for every combination of phone/router.

I have tried the following :

Router.

Turned off security altogether security.

Tried a specific channel

Tried g only

Turned of unpp

Setup an access list using the phones MAC.

Phone

Recorded connection details when working and then forced these through a static connection when not working.

Download WifiBlade.

Downloaded WifiStatic – useful for recording configurations.

Downloaded Wifi analyser – useful for eliminating signal strength problems - there is no loss of signal when the connection drops.

Non of which seem to have solved the problem.

This is very frustrating and makes the Xperia Arc useless as a business tool as you dare not leave background data enabled for fear of racking up a huge bill if the wifi connection should drop.

Remember SE for every 1 person who logs a complaint there will be many that don’t and just give up – it takes a long time and a huge amount of effort to build a good reputation and no time at all to lose it.  Therefore please fix ASAP - If it’s a hardware fault then please do the decent thing and announce a recall.

Many thanks

Pete

One time poster
maRRRco

Me too, i continue to have this problem and it is absolutely randomic

few days ago i downloaded a complete distro of ubuntu, 700 mb without a problem

today for a little video, after 35 mb a drop out

yesterday at my college, during normal browsing web a drop after 5 minutes

it is much casual, but very annoing.

Anonymous(anon)

Further to my email of 2-Mar-2012 and in the same vain as maRRRco’s excellent e-mail attached are some screen shots which may or may not be of some assistance to SE support.

When my connection is dropped (even though all other wifi equipment stays connected) the phone continuously scans :

screenshot_2012-03-02_1337_1.png

Then disconnects :

screenshot_2012-03-02_1337.png

Even though my signal strength is good :

screenshot_2012-03-02_1340.png

And has not recently dropped :

screenshot_2012-03-02_1340_2.png

But still works fine with a different router :

screenshot_2012-03-02_1437.png

????

Thanks

Pete

Anonymous(anon)

Hello,

I bought an ARC s in substitution of my old x10.(BTW, this termina NEVER show any problems with WIFI).

Found same problems explained here in this forum  with WiFi, my router is a Netgear DGN1000. Even at a distance of 1 mt the connection keeps on dropping.

I've tried to follow your suggestions, but unfortunately there's no new firmware for the router. Even changing the transmission channel didn't bring improvements.

Silly question : why sony couldn't fix the problem replacing android 2.3.4 code relative at wifi connection with android 2.3.3. code ?

Hope with ICS this will be fixed, it's an annoying thing; worst of all i have to update all apps OTA, and the cost is not cheap.

Regards,

Maurizio

One time poster
maRRRco

Hello Maurizio

why you not return it in your local shop, if bought it since less 7 days, and change brand?

Changing the code with 2.3.3 not solve nothing, it was worst the wifi with previuous firmwares.

Is clear a software lackness, i can't imagine a poor hardware, but wait Sony is not the best solution. In my case sometimes drops, but can happen a time in one or two hours, after that i modified router settings some months ago. However it dros also with the acces point of my university. So, the router itself is not the cause.

If i have bought my Sony now with 2.3.4 out of the box, and with the Gps bug in addition to wifi lack of stability, i should return it immediatly !!!

Now i have to wait for the promised Gps bug fix in ICS, hoping for wifi improvements.

Anonymous(anon)

why you not return it in your local shop, if bought it since less 7 days, and change brand?

I must agree with Marroco.

Think again and return the phone ASAP.

I have an Xperia Neo and the same problems since day one (a few months ago).

Sony is not dealing with the problems, including the GPS issue.

These are not low-end phones where you expect little support..... but Sony makes you think so.

Since some lucky users seem to work with WiFi, Sony is pushing all the problems to router issues. Tipical to who doesn´t want to spend efforts on the issues....

Surf the forums, see for yourself......

Anonymous(anon)

Here a solution of a guy from xda

"

i guys after 2 weeks finally i found out a solution for my home wifi internet then my android phone now work like champ .so i hope that something im about to write here will help you:

(i have 1 modem adsl named Postef,1 Wifi Access point named Planet WRT415)

here are what i did :

1) change the IP address of Modem to :192.168.1.1

change the IP address of AP to 192.168.1.2

2) change the channel of AP to 9

At the first time my modem and AP have the same IP which is 192.168.1.1 so when i use iphone4 and laptop to browse 192.168.1.1 it logged in to the Modem but my Android phone logged in to the AP so that is the problem ,the android phone can not distinguish if you use the same IP for Modem and AP "