Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
WinterStars

Re: When will 4.0 be released to the 2011 Xperias? (Bad news, March 2012)

I totally agree with you, I am there too. I know what it takes for a company to release something on a global scale. Its not like we are working only for a single country. Every country, every carrier has its own requirement so tests are needed for every single one of them. The results go to the dev team the dev fix, send it to the test team, cpu load measurements, ram usage, memory leaks, stability, compliance blah blah blah how they do it in a few months is awesome ... They probably skipped some tests:smileylaugh:

Anonymous(anon)

Maybe, but SE's focus would surely be for forthcoming devices, not current ones.  They have 2 new devices in the pipeline and that's where the effort would be I think.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

yes they will focus on new devices but they should release the update prior to releasing the new phones, so they can work out the bugs, it will be a win win plus the new Xperias will be able to do a lot more than the current line up, if not then what's the point on releasing new phones :smileysilly:

One time poster
WinterStars

Yes Uli, the update will come, but as you can imagine, the xperia source code is getting merged with the ICS source code. so the SE components like drivers, UI, HW specific stuffs, BSPs etc are getting updated to match the new ICS OS. so they need to make sure all these things are working. They are ironing the bugs with the test platform and at the same time the model specific BSPs are getting updated and tested. so there is a lot of work running around. then finally when everything seems okay, configure it for country specific flashing. Flash and test. this goes on and on... so it is understandable if they take 3 months ...

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I know the update will come, but 3 months ok, but I doubt SE got the code just now

One time poster
WinterStars

I don't claim to know the details, but Samsung is the Nexus partner for ICS and I don't think they would be happy if Google share the source with SE until the Nexus is launched. I think we all know about the news of the x86 optimizations for ICS. It turns out Intel never had the source code access for ICS until ICS was added to the AOSP. I think the same applies to SE.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I think Google works closer than we think with SE since they been implementing the extra buttons so they could've release the Xperia Play and other things, but we might never know

Inhabitant
paul4os

ok - Firefox-style development before they went to the stupid version numbers!

Inhabitant
paul4os

SE were right to say no to a Nexus phone. The whole idea of creating preferred partners which release a "special" Google phone is against the whole concept of openness that Google likes to mouth-off that it is so good at.

Besides, I don't want an ugly Google logo plastered over my phone, and as said elsewhere do not want to worship the evil Google empire. :smileysilly: One large company gaining too much power over a product ecosystem is never good for consumers in the long-run. 

Inhabitant
paul4os

well said. Some of these guys just don't understand the work involved and the pressured situation that Google have put the handset vendors in.