Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly
Accepted Solution

When will 4.0 be released to the 2011 Xperias? (Bad news, March 2012)

http://www.androidworld.it/2011/11/22/la-gamma-xperia-2011-aggiornata-entro-marzo-ad-ice-cream-sandw...

SE Italy says Android 4.0 ICS coming to Xperia devices by March 2012

Facebook porta buone notizie per gli utenti Sony Ericsson, e noi siamo lieti di riferirvele: il già annunciato update ad Android 4.0 della gamma Xperia 2011 è ulteriormente confermato e per la prima volta spunta anche una scadenza temporale, che vorrebbe tutti gli smartphone aggiornati entro il prossimo marzo.

Facebook brings good news for users Sony Ericsson , and we are pleased to report: the already announced update to Android 4.0 in the range 2011 Xperia is further confirmed for the first time check, and also a time limit, he would like all smartphones updated by next March.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Re: When will 4.0 be released to the 2011 Xperias? (Bad news, March 2012)

March 2012 when 4.0 has been released to everybody few days ago? that's 4months more or less, that's just ridiculous.

now take into consideration that the new phones

Sony Ericsson LT26i and LT28i are running Android 2.3.5 and now 2.3.7

while we are stuck with 2.3.4.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2011/11/25/sony-ericsson-lt26i-and-lt28i-appear-in-antutu-benchmark/

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

up

Visitor
WinterStars

Uli, As mentioned before, this is expected. Because they won't be releasing SW updates until they have merged their codebase with ICS. Best scenario when SE codebase is stable with ICS is before the new products are launched. Thats somewhere after CES or MWC. Which should be somewhere around Feb. Sad but true :smileyplain:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I don't think it should take so long, specially if the code has been available to the general public for more than a week and for companies longer than that. and I find it insulting that they haven't released any future updates if they already have them and use them to test their new phones

Visitor
WinterStars

ICS source code is available on Nov 14th. Only Samsung has prior access to ICS source code. Even if they rebased their source code on same day they would probably need to rework a lot of drivers, start up config, HW config blah blah and then get their SDK aligned with ICS. Build and then test. By the time it works on a target they have to customize it for all variants and test again. to make sure our phones won't get bricked or else they will be in trouble.so it takes time. especially if they want maturity... can't help it but one thing they can do is speed it up. :smileyplain: . But please SE faster ...

If you noticed on the net there were lots of port of the ICS to older handsets but if you see you will find that BT is not working, no GSM Radio, no camera etc  ... just the Phone is up ... so you can understand what is going on :smileysilly:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

if the Xda Forum releases a fully working ICS ROM for any of the Xperias that will be shameful and also yes there are Custom ROMs for older androids and might be missing some drivers but they are baked by non professional developers that spend their free time working on them, so if they can release a bit buggy ROMs a company should be able to do the same but fully working drivers and SE being a world corporations they should be able to release it faster.

Master
slimshaddy

I also read this last night :smileysad:

Talent
paul4os

Blame Google for pretending to be open, but actually having a closed development model.

Visitor
WinterStars

You can't help it Paul, they needed a launch partner and they can't afford to let everybody contribute code initially. I still like google especially when I think of iOS. So far their catch phrase of Do no evil is still true. It is open now of course.