Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Re: Sony Ericsson's Xperias and "Carrier IQ"?

thanx

to make it a bit easier for other users

Service Menu

Open the Dialer and press this

*#*#7378423#*#*

Software info

which software versions are and/or aren't affected? it will be nice to get a list

Anonymous(anon)

It is amazing that we came that far. We pay these companies for the right to call and text and they sell our "tags" to a third party. The weird thing though is that very few people care. I find it amusing that some guy, somewhere, in some basement created this, sold it to AT&T (along with a part of his soul) and then he went back to sleep like nothing is going on. Of course nothing new here, I dont know why we are even surprised that we are being used like chewing gums. Next time we ask ourselves why AT&T takes so long to release updates, We should visit this thread. Unless this CIQ is up and working nothing is being released. And of course they will release a "patch" that is going to rename it to something else and say that they deleted it. Or even worse.. they wont do anything about and then we will forget it until we find out that there is another "CIQ" that records your phone's mic input even if your phone is just laying on the table... What a world our kids inherit! They will be so proud of us! Oh! I forgot to thank AT&T for employing the CIQ that gave me the fantastic network and service! Next time they should imbed an updated version of CIQ that logs my toilet visits, that may improve their customer support!

Uli thanks for the links!

Anonymous(anon)

Just for the record, AT&T does NOT sell the Xperia Arc (LT15a), just the Xperia Play R800a.

I have the LT15a (I use AT&T) and I have the lastest firmware update from SE themselves OTA, and it DOES NOT have CIQ on it. 

Anonymous(anon)

CIQ is not in the LT15a firmware.  LT15a is NOT an AT&T branded phone so there is no CIQ on this phone.  I have it.

Anonymous(anon)

The only SE phone here in the USA sold on contract is the Xperia Play, both on AT&T and Verizon.  The Arc is unlocked and unbranded (at least I bought it that way) and does NOT have CIQ on it.  This is the most recent 2.3.4 firmware that I have installed.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

the LT15a on AT&T and sony style store was an example, I guess I could've used the X10a instead

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/senator-al-franken-gets-answers-regarding-carrieriq-still-not-s/

I appreciate the responses I received, but I'm still very troubled by what's going on... People have a fundamental right to control their private information. After reading the companies' responses, I'm still concerned that this right is not being respected. The average user of any device equipped with Carrier IQ software has no way of knowing that this software is running, what information it is getting, and who it is giving it to -- and that's a problem. It appears that Carrier IQ has been receiving the contents of a number of text messages -- even though they had told the public that they did not. I'm also bothered by the software's ability to capture the contents of our online searches-even when users wish to encrypt them. So there are still many questions to be answered here and things that need to be fixed.

Trustee
Markus

What do you want to say with your comment?

This is a Support Forum for Sony Ericsson users. Not a political forum. Please respect that.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/21/t-mobile-motorola-respond-to-senator-frankens-carrier-iq-quest/

The deadline has passed for T-Mobile and Motorola to respond to Senator Al Franken's Carrier IQquestionnaire, and both companies' reports are in. We'll first tackle T-Mobile's letter: the carrier stated that it began installing CIQ last August, and nearly 450,000 Android and BlackBerry devices are infested with the IQ Agent software, which is used for individual troubleshooting cases and marketing purposes. This is a more moderate use than Sprint or AT&T, which both mentioned that it was actively pinging their CIQ-enabled phones to collect data on service and wireless performance on their networks. Nine T-Mobile devices in total contain the IQ Agent: the HTC Amaze 4G, Samsung Galaxy S II and Exhibit II 4G, LG MyTouch and MyTouchQ, LG DoublePlay and the BlackBerry 9900, 9810 and 9360. Motorola, meanwhile, admitted that CIQ is installed on four of its devices: the Admiral, Titanium, Bravo and Atrix 2. While this rounds up all of the companies that were asked by Senator Franken to respond, we're still anxious to see what kind of effect this will have. We've already witnessed one major change, as Sprint's agreed to disable the software on its phones, but who's next? Where do we go from here?

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Update

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/22/eff-takes-the-fight-to-carrier-iq-requests-reinforcements/

If we didn't love the EFF already, we'd be proposing marriage now that it's managed to reverse-engineer Carrier IQ's pernicious monitoring software. CIQ exists in phones in three parts, the app itself, a configuration file and a database -- where your keystrokes and coded "metrics" are logged before being sent to the company. Volunteer Jared Wierzbicki cracked the configuration profile and produced IQIQ, an Android app that reveals what parts of your activity are being monitored. Now the Foundation is posting an open call for people to share their data using the app in order to decipher what personal data was collected and hopefully decrypt the rest of the software. Hopefully, our thoughts can soon turn to who's gonna play the part of Trevor Eckhart in the All the Presidents Men-style biopic.