Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Trustee
Markus

Re: Sony Ericsson's Xperias and "Carrier IQ"?

Only when requested by the carrier as the statement says. I don't have much more info on this so I suggest you ask your carrier (who are you calling with?) about this. This CIQ thing has become quite a hot topic lately so I'm sure they have more info to give.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I understand that, but my question is if I buy an Xperia unlock directly from Sony Ericsson, not through the carrier, but it will be compatible with certain carrier that utilize carrier IQ would SE include that since it will work with such network and it's sold in that country?

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/245481/european_regulators_start_investigating_carrier...

Checking with Carriers

ICO plans to contact mobile phone operators to see if Carrier IQ or similar software is on U.K. customers' handsets and, if so, what steps are being taken to ensure there are no privacy implications, it said.

Trustee
Markus

Using a phone on a certain network will not add CIQ. It needs to be included in the software.

Was that the answer you're looking for or am I misunderstanding your question? :smileyhappy:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

not entirely, I am aware that has to be included in the software, let me rephrase it

LT15a designed for the US market, there are two options either buy it through

AT&T w/ a contract (locked)

and

through the US sony store

will both include CIQ, since both can only be used for AT&T?

I am aware that you can buy an unlocked phone from other countries that are compatible with the same frequencies, but that's irrelevant to this question

Trustee
Markus

Ah, now I understand. I think. I'll find out and then post again. :smileyhappy:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Thanks

out of topic, can you check the txt pro threads, they have a LOT of questions

One time poster
jinx100

Then is this a difference between the "a" and "i" firmware versions? The "a" version includes Carrier IQ while the "i" version does not?

How can we remove Carrier IQ from unlocked (SIM free) phones?

Trustee
Markus

OK, here we go.

First of all I'd like to point out that I do not know if Sony Store US sells phones with SE generic software or not so you should check this to be sure.

But - if it's generic, that is not customized or branded in any way, it does not include CIQ. So if you can find a dealer in US that sells non-customized and non-branded phones you will not have CIQ in it.

Trustee
Markus

The 'i' and 'a' are market dependant.

i = International

a = Americas

This is not necessarily what makes the difference here. Read my post above for more info on this.

(http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/134384#134384)

CIQ, if included in the software, cannot be removed without altering the software (if even then) which will void your warranty.