Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Inhabitant
paul4os

Re: Sony Ericsson's Xperias and "Carrier IQ"?

This is exactly why I would like to see companies like SE reducing the dependency on Google services, not increasing it as they are doing.

e.g. Phone offers an option to auto-backup to Google servers - I don't want Google to have this data, so there should also be the option for me to do this to my own cloud server in the same menu.

I also regard the Android Market as being a security/privacy risk, given the control over your phone that Google can gain to install whatever it wants.

Sony's Music/Video Unlimited doesn't shound very impressive either with regards to privacy if you read their T&Cs.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

what would be the difference if you compare iOS Android WinMobile and RIM, who has more security issues, who keeps track of you every movement etc? is it Google, Apple, Microsoft, or RIM or irrelevant nonsmart phones?

I agree on having an option to include any cloud service we want to be added, similar on how they added twitter and fb integration but another option to be open to anything

but then again, cloud services aren't 100% safe, they do open security risks and tracing issues just like the good old Goog :smileysilly: but it'll be great to have an option unlike apple products who either you agree to give away your soul or you can't use their phone :smileysilly:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

@Martha

Does SE add Carrier IQ to ALL phones sold in the US or just sold to carriers? which carriers? SIM free for the US market come with Carrier IQ?

more info

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/02/carrier_iq_interview/

According to Coward, Carrier IQ only retains text messages or keystroke patterns that carry proprietary tags. These tags identify all transmissions that could be used to populate analytic data, including some that may be considered sensitive. If a user drops a call, for instance, the system will note his or her location, and the numbers of each party. In other cases, the company may receive a special SMS (or "control message," as Coward describes it), which provides Carrier IQ with important diagnostic information (e.g., data on failed SMS transmissions). The company collects data on the number of successfully delivered texts and the phone numbers of users who send these texts, but the contents of an SMS, Coward insists, are "never stored and never transmitted."

Key taps, meanwhile, are monitored because certain sequences can trigger responses from the software. If a user is on the line with technical support, for example, he or she may be prompted to type in a code in order to upload diagnostic data to Carrier IQ's system. As with text messages, though, only earmarked keystroke sequences are copied. All the others -- including the keystroke patterns displayed in Eckhart's demo video -- are filtered out. According to the Register, Coward's claims have been corroborated by Android security researcher Dan Rosenberg, who reverse engineered Carrier IQ's software.

Detailed as Coward's arguments may be, the thrust of his defense rests upon Carrier IQ's earlier assertions that service providers retain ultimate control over consumer information. "The data that's being gathered is commissioned by the operators to be gathered," Coward explained. "It's under their control, albeit sometimes in our data center, sometimes in their data center. We have no rights to that data."

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Lawmaker calls for FTC probe into Carrier IQ

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/02/us-privacy-mobile-ftc-idUSTRE7B124F20111202

U.S. Representative Edward Markey on Friday asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate whether software maker Carrier IQ violated millions of mobile phone users' privacy rights.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Voodoo Carrier IQ app

This app's goal is to let you find out as easily as possible if your Android device hosts CarrierIQ rootkit or not.

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetector

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

more info

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/3/2608995/carrier-iq-denies-responsiblity-insecure-log-files-blames-...

"The interesting thing is because we are able to see this happening in logcat, anything with the right permissions can see the same thing. It means programs other than CIQ, such as crash reporting software or any app that can read logs, will also be able to see the same exact logs."

"Whatever your opinion of the data CIQ is collecting on behalf of the carriers, having that data available to other apps on the device is a serious security issue. However, Coward argues that it is not a CIQ security issue."

slimshaddy

i just read that at&t uses carrier i1 just solely to improve network performance...

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

it's AT&T I don't quite believe that, did you read the last link?

slimshaddy

last link : http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/3/2608995/carrier-iq-denies-responsiblity-insecure-log-files-blames-...

this one..??

well i just read it in the newspaper :smileysilly:

“In line with our privacy policy, we solely use CIQ software data to improve wireless network and service performance,” AT&T said. AP

Spy in the mobile? Lawsuit against software maker

San Francisco: Technology bloggers are asking if our cellphones are spying on us after a security researcher said a piece of software hidden on millions of phones was recording almost everything people do with them.
    Amid a broad outcry, Senator Al Franken is calling for an investigation.
    A class-action lawsuit has been filed against the software’s maker, Carrier IQ Inc of Mountain View, California. The software, which Carrier IQ says is used on some 150 million mobile devices, appears relatively innocuous. It does watch what own
ers of Sprint Nextel Corp and AT&T Inc. smartphones do with them, including what people type and the numbers they dial.
    But it doesn’t seem to
transmit every key stroke to the company. Instead, it kicks into action when there’s a problem, like a call that doesn’t go through, and it lets the phone company know.
    “It is software that is developed in partnership with carriers with the intent to improve network performance. As far as we can tell, it meets this description in execution,” said Tim Wyatt, principal engineer at Lookout, a cellphone security company.
    “In line with our privacy policy, we solely use CIQ software data to improve wireless network and service performance,” AT&T said. AP

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly