Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: QUESTIONs regarding unlocking my Arc S boot loader officially

"you won't be able to update your phone with official software ( PC companion and SUS ) unless and until you relock your bootloader."

But the official updates are on XDA so it's not really a big deal.  If your technical enough to unlock your bootloader (and are aware of the risks of course) then flashing updates shouldn't be a problem.  I don't understand why a lack of PCC/OTA updates should discourage people.  The versions on XDA are official - they might be 'world generic' but they're still Sony files.

Case in point: The last GB update (.62?) was available from XDA *weeks* before the OTA update here in the UK.  But YMMV.

Sony wouldn't be able to beta test ICS "in the field" if no-one was willing to unlock their bootloader.  :smileyhappy:  I've been running it for nearly 5 weeks now and have given Sony plenty of feedback - hopefully others have done the same and the final version will be better for it.

slimshaddy

ok.... dint know this.. i thought custom roms can be added normlly without unlocking..

gwhispererz

I guess there is no right or wrong .... just decision made.

Logically, we should know exactly what we want to do with our phone ....:smileyhappy:

Nabeel

i don't know why you say that thing again and again

tellme one thing, DON'T YOU READ POSTS CAREFULLY AT ALL ??

I THINK YOU DON'T and this is my second incident with you ( first here http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/172955#172955 )

this is what the guy wrote  will that prevent me from updating it to ICS or anything else using PC companion or seus? ( see below the title)

We all know we CAN GET ANYTHING FROM XDA

but the guy is asking something else

I , GWHISPERERZ and AUNI are replying to what the poster wants and you are keen in telling tha you can get it from xda, you can get it from xda .

Need any help related to moderation? message me or any other moderator.

Anonymous(anon)

You need to calm down.

On two occasions you have claimed that updating to an official Sony release after unlocking your bootloader is difficult.  It is not difficult.  It is easy . Stop trying to scare people.

If it wasn't for people willing to unlock their bootloaders and try new releases you wouldn't be getting an ICS update at all.

I am offering someone the benefit of my experience and I always mention that there are risks involved. If the OP doesn't want my advice then fair enough but it is nothing to do with you.

So either leave me alone or complain to a mod.

Anonymous(anon)

There are risks but in my humble opinion the benefits of an unlocked phone are worth it.  YMMV.  :smileyhappy:

Nabeel

who is scaring people ??

you mean by telling the truth i am scaring people ??

gwhispererz did the same, all moderators do the same , 

instead you say about yourself

its like, you want all the people on this forum to unlock their bootloaders and test the beta

you are saying as if i am conveying wrong info all over the forum
see my posts above ,,, is anything wrong with it ?

tellme one thing, can you update your phone through seus or pcc with an unlocked bootloader ??

this is what the poster asked to which i replied and to which you said

But the official updates are on XDA so it's not really a big deal.  If your technical enough to unlock your bootloader (and are aware of the risks of course) then flashing updates shouldn't be a problem.  I don't understand why a lack of PCC/OTA updates should discourage people.  The versions on XDA are official - they might be 'world generic' but they're still Sony files.

and you are saying "leave me alone"

its you who is replying to my post again and again unnecessarily

seriously i have no more words to say to you
lets have a happy end to this.... :smileyhappy:

Need any help related to moderation? message me or any other moderator.

One time poster
Auni

Guys u both need to calm down.

First of all, @req: I know u do know good amount of info regarding android customization and ROM trying stuff. Even i know a lot and probably try every now and then with baseband and kernel stuffs. Most are from XDA though.:smileywink:

Well the point is since it is the official SONY forum, so here i believe we should not encourage people to try too much technical stuffs. Cause if anything goes wrong then people will blame SONY official forum and relevant people, which is wrong.

I have done rooting a long ago and trying different stuffs from then. It's really simple, but i saw many people messed up for trying this simple rooting and editing stuffs.

In XDA the situation is lot different. In XDA we all are responsible for our own stuffs. Trying and customizing stuffs. [cause we like it, right?] :smileyhappy:

But here since it's SONY and it has an image [both in corporate and consumer market level globally] so it's better if we all do not encourage people to try to too much technical stuffs.

And I believe a technical & advanced user won't ask this "bootloader unlocking" issue here, rather asking this to XDA right?

I hope i made my point clear. And thanks, since u shared the ICS beta experience with us.

@Nabeel: Chill Yaar!