Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

QUESTIONs regarding unlocking my Arc S boot loader officially

if i unloack my arc s bootloader officially, will that prevent me from updating it to ICS or anything else using PC companion or seus?

gwhispererz

Re: QUESTIONs regarding unlocking my Arc S boot loader officially

Hi, the answer is yes .... that includes voiding phone warranty.

For more info, http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Anonymous(anon)

does that mean yes i can update or no i cant..

gwhispererz

No, you can't.

My advice is do not unlock bootloader, be aware of the risk you are taking.

slimshaddy

why do you want to unlock your bootloader..?? just curious..

Anonymous(anon)

I've unlocked mine.  Why?  So I could install and test the ICS beta for the benefit of everybody else here.  If people didn't do this then who knows what bugs Sony would miss.  We are doing the community a favour to be fair.

So as long as people are aware of the risks (warranty is the main one) then I say "go for it!".  :smileyhappy:

And I'm pretty sure the bootloader can be locked again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134335

Anonymous(anon)

There are some excllent ROMs out there that can be installed with an unlocked bootloader.  I can see the temptation having done a lot of this sort of thing with my previous devices.  :smileyhappy:

One time poster
Auni

I am not an expert of Bootloader unlocking, but after unlocking it, even if it can be locked according to XDA, there is still a chance that the DRM won't be back.

So this DRM, does it have any relation with Official ICS update? "Ques" to Uli & gwhisperez??

@jsega: Since the ICS is almost on the way, according to Sony's deadline, so i think u can wait a little bit and get the official update first. If not happy with that,  then u can go for this Bootloader Unlocking and other available custom ROM.

Nabeel

if you unlock your bootloader. DRM files would vanish
once lost can't be restored

you won't be able to update your phone with official software ( PC companion and SUS ) unless and until you relock your bootloader.

after relocking your bootloader, you would be able to get the updates but DRM files once gone, are gone

WARRANTY VOID

this is how to relock your bootloader (you may need it in future :smileywink:smileyhappy:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134334

Need any help related to moderation? message me or any other moderator.

Anonymous(anon)

FWIW the only issue I had with losing DRM keys is the stock Track ID app stopped working.  But the one on the Android Market works fine so nothing lost.  Some people had issues using the 'Like' button in the Music Player but mine works fine.

Losing DRM won't stop you enjoying ICS.  :smileyhappy: