Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Master
slimshaddy

Re: ICS bugs..!!

the phone are not touching each other..

when they are brought close to each other the sound bug activates :smileylaugh:

Demigod
Martha-
Talent
paul4os

As well as bugs, I would like a place to be able to discuss features of ICS, and whether we like them or not.

I was wanting to do this on the poll page asking "What are you looking forward to most in ICS?" at http://talk.sonyericsson.com/polls/1055, however, the poll thread is broken and you cannot comment there! (ironically, even though one of the options is "Other - please leave a comment").

Anyway, personally I think ICS is good but far from perfect, and I think Google has made some bad design decisions in certain places with regards to the user interface (even in someplaces a step backwards from Gingerbread). The description of "chaotic" is a good one, as used by CNET in their excellent quick critical video review at http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57325419-251/android-4.0-ice-cream-sandwich-review-cool-confide...I would hope that Sony Ericsson would review all of Google's design decisions and determine whether or not they actually are good ideas before implementing them in their custom implementation.

Before I get to the bad, for me the good stuff is the basic stuff and the things under the hood - i.e GPU acceleration, improved performance (hopefully) and spell checking (at last!). Many of the other good features are already in SE's Gingerbread customisations.

Now, here's the bad and what could be improved, primarily the UI:

- The layout of thumbnails in the gallery app. These are horrible and hard to look at (as discussed in CNET review linked above). The thumbnail view and thumbnail navigation in the Gingerbread gallery was wonderful, and still brings a smile to my face every time I use it. This is a retrograde step.

- The inconsistent look.

- The stupid ugly off-centre dialpad keys.

- The "Apps", "Widgets", and "Market" tabs in the app tray. This now comes across as very cluttered. It was better IMO when widgets were tucked-in out of the way on the homescreen - i.e in the same place where widgets are used.

- In the app tray, I also think it is confusing to scroll sideways BOTH between tabs and between pages within a tab. If there must be tabs, then I would rather have the functionality to categorise my apps with these tabs, and to be able to scroll *vertically* through the apps categorised under a particular tab.

- The inclusion of the "Market" link on the top-right of the app-tray is there for no other reason than Google's shameless promotion of the Android Market and so they get more 30% cuts from app sales. Perhaps the user could put ANY app store in a tab /drop-down here on the right-hand side to get them out of the way (and get Sony bloatware app stores out of the way too :smileysilly:) - e.g. dropdown to select Market, SlideME, Amazon, GetJar, PlayNow, Get Games, Get Apps, PlayStation Network etc. I think Android detects automatically "market"-like appstores, so perhaps this could be automatic. (Now, that I've given you this idea please let users put ANY appstore here, not just Sony ones - remember the reason users like Android is due to OPENESS, not to vendor lock-in or shameless self-promotion of any one company - this is why crApple iOS can only go into decline from now on)

- The Roboto font. One of the things that I always liked about SE phones back in the day was that they always had a clear and good-looking font. On old SE phones you could distinguish between a lowercase L and an uppercase i, but on the old Nokias you could not. Well guess what, with the Roboto font in ICS you can no longer distinguish between a lowercase L and an uppercase i. I also think it looks hard to read (though have not used it on a device).

- The stupid waste of screen space. In many places they've done away with the menu button and put a big useless grey bar at the bottom of the screen with only 2 options on it. How is this progress?!

- The move to touch Android buttons on the bottom of the screen with Nexus S. I love that SE phones use tactile Android buttons (Xperia Pro user), and that was a factor in my choice of phone. I just hope SE doesn't follow this stupid fashion trend in future phones. The software touch buttons are also a huge waste of screen space - space that could actually have been used to show useful information if they'd gone with slimline hardware buttons like SE.

- That Face Unlock doesn't work in the dark. I thought this would be a great way to seamlessly unlock phones as always having to slide the slider and/or enter a pin is frustrating, then I realised that it doesn't work as seamlessly in the dark. Is there any way SE could make it work in the dark?

Some posters elsewhere on the internet have mentioned setting the whole screen to pure white to provide enough light for the front camera; others have said that this may hurt the eyes. Is there any way that SE could provide an option so that the screen ramps up brightness in the dark (as opposed to a sudden step change from dark -> light), just enough so Face Unlock would work in the dark without hurting the eyes?

Failing the above, SE needs to add some IR camera to the front of its future devices, so that the Face Unlock will work in the dark, and also so that it won't be fooled by a photograph with infrared face-detection. Even better, please include a fingerprint reader in a future Xperia Pro :smileyhappy: (see Moto Atrix).

(well unlucky Arc users without the front camera - should have got a Pro :smileysilly:)

Well, that's all I could think of now - I know I have more ideas.

Master
slimshaddy

hmm this is good news :smileywink:

Master
slimshaddy

woah... lot of demands :smileylaugh:

in the review they also said this ""

The first piece of good news is that these are all issues that Google can tackle in succeeding updates,
"

so all can be solved with the coming updates..

also when sony ericsson officialy confirmed the ics , they said that they are integrating the sony ui into the ics , so ics + sony = awsm ui :smileywink:

i think so.

Talent
paul4os

Here is also the XDA thread for similar feature requests:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1348978

Master
slimshaddy

i voted on full blown se customisation :smileylaugh:

thaks for sharing the link..

i hope moderators pass this thread to the devs :smileysilly:

Talent
paul4os

not, "demands" - merely suggestions on how Sony can pwn the competition in the next few months in time for MWC Barcelona when they'll probably unveil their 2012 range :smileyhappy: If we have to wait for the next Android release from Google, and then again from the phone manufacturer then we'll be waiting forever. Just look at SE's 2.3.4 release - it had many of these ICS features (done better than Google) before ICS was released!! Innovation from the Phone companies will push Google in the correct direction too.

Indeed, if Sony can polish out the "chaotic" mess in ICS, combined with improving the stuff that is just wrong in ICS then it truly will be awsm. Problem is that it is going to be tight and not much time for SE to work on it - I think that Google's method of releasing the code to partners is wrong - partners should have access to Android code throughout the entire development process, not just at release (though perhaps SE have more inside access than we think).

Talent
paul4os

so did I :smileylaugh:. I trust SE more for aesthetic taste than Google :smileylove:

Master
slimshaddy

yup i really love the ui..

i hate samsung's many color ui..it sucks..

you know what..when the ics will be launched , first i'll see the ui first..and then see the features..ui is on my priority list :smileywink: