Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Oracle
suze

Re: How much RAM does your ARC has? 512MB?

See there was me thinking that I had it all clear in my head and now I am confused again!!  I downloaded Android System Info on my X10 and it tells me that I have 280mb RAM but GSMArena says it has 384mb RAM whereas others say 256mb.  I can't see on the SE web page for X10 the RAM. 

I think I will admit defeat on this one, sorry guys that I was unable to help.

Anonymous(anon)

If you are using a program such as 'Android System Info' to find out the amount of RAM avalible, it dosen't actually tell you the internal RAM, insted, it tells you the RAM that is allocated to the user to run applications on. Wether this is a problem with the app, or just how the phone is build to hide the full amount of ram im not sure. I maybe wrong, however, i think that SE Devices Ram are split, they have a seprate set of memory chips from the system, to make sure it runs stable, and another set for the user. That way they can allocate accordingly.

Also - It maybe not on the white papers, but i've seen various sites saying how much RAM is allocated for the user. This may clear things up.

Anonymous(anon)

Anonymous(anon)

you can watch what sonyericsson italia has just answered to me here:

http://www.facebook.com/sonyericssonita/posts/193587170682359

it says "la memoria interna è di 320 Mb mentre quella esterna supporta microSD fino a 32 Gb. La RAM è di 512 Mb" that means:

Internal memory is 320 Mb

External can support mSD up to 32Gb

RAM is 512MB

Anonymous(anon)

Hi,

As I check in my phone the RAM is only 335MB and not 512MB. How come the phone did not display the RAM 512MB is that mean the phone is not showing the total RAM capacity of Arc?

Anonymous(anon)

as i wrote before, it's 320 + cache, i think

Anonymous(anon)

Hi,

What you mention is the internal memory of the phone which is 320MB. RAM and Internal memory is different right?

Thanks.

One time poster
an2ny79

RAM is where ALL files have been temporarily stored before and after CPU processes them.  In short, whole RAM is kind of "Cache" storage.  You can only allocate part of it when sharing space with other processor like GPU
One time poster
an2ny79

Consider this..

Random Access Memory (RAM) is where CPU stores files that need to be processed (but wipe out cleanly when CP turned off)

Internal Memory is some kind of Harddisk (or simply like USB flash disk) wherein you can store files and stay there even if you turned it off.

Problem is, there are misconceptions about RAM and Internal Memory, sometimes they also refer RAM as SDCard (external Memory).. If you don't know about computer parts and functions, this is soooo misleading.

One time poster
an2ny79

Want to point out that USER doesn't actually access RAM (unless USER uses program that creates virtual memory), it is the Processor (CPU / GPU) that ONLY uses it.  The only memory allocated for USER are Internal and External Memory, wherein USER has the power to access and manipulate it.

Just think of PC SDRAM (DDR1/2/3), user doesn't actually use this RAM even if I put 8GB in my mother board, I won't be able to use it unless I use external command that creates virtual memory.  The CPU or VGA (if shared) are the one who are controlling or using it.