Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

How much RAM does your ARC has? 512MB?

You can check this by installing

Android Memory Booster

https://market.android.com/details?id=imoblife.memorybooster.lite&feature=search_result

or Android Assistant

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.advancedprocessmanager&feature=search_result

or System info

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.electricsheep.asi&feature=search_result

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

Re: How much RAM does your ARC has? 512MB?

Any one can confirm the RAM for Arc because I just buy my phone last April 09, 2011 then upon checking the RAM it shows only a maximum of 335MB. Upon checking in the internet

on the specification of the phone the RAM is 512MB. I'm confuse about this which one is correct. Anyone can answer my concern?

Demigod
KrazyD

The phone does have 512MB of RAM. This is random access memory and works the same as it does in a computer. The phone will access it when it needs to for applications and this results in the user having less ram available.

Oracle
suze

Hello there, we have had a discussion within the Moderators and had confirmation from Sony Ericsson that the phones have 1g ROM and 512mb RAM.

Well as far as I understand it in my fairly non tech brain, the official RAM is 512mb but this would be when the phone is switched off sitting on the side.  As soon as you switch it on the operating system and apps that fire up at switch on start using that RAM, so when you check it it will never say 512 and why a lot of the blurb says up to 512mb of RAM. Does that make sense?

There is quite a good explanation on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory  which explains RAM in more detail, but the above kind of cleared it up in my mind.

One time poster
an2ny79

I just don't agree with this..

I know how RAM works as we practice Assembly Language and mostly deal with computer memory.  Even if you open or close your CP, system should still recognize the capacity of this hardware which is 512MB.

I think I know why system / third party apps show different result.. Please cnfrm with SE tech if RAM is shared in some way by other part of the phone (example VGA).  If so, then Capacity less Shared would be the maximum value a System Platform / third party apps would recognize.

If Im correct, you should tell the buyer the maximum amount of memory usable by the System Platform not the maximum amount of the hardware itself.

This is why I don't buy Motherboard with build in VGA (Video Graphic Adapter) because they share the same RAM and this would affect the applications I'm using.

One time poster
an2ny79

If RAM isn't shared.. whether computer uses RAM or not, the maximum value would still be the same.  You're talking about the FREE SPACE here not the maximum capacity of a hardware device.
One time poster
an2ny79

Another question, you said 1GB ROM, are you sure about this???  When you say ROM, are you referring to Internal Memory?  If so, Internal Memory (as per your web spec) is only 320MB.

Sorry, but ROM (Read Only Memory) for my PC Hardware point of view is different...

Forum Legend
uliwooly

You are right, the Internal Memory its different than ROM, Arc's internal memory = 320MB more or less (it all depends on the pre-install aps that certain regions/operators will add)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
uliwooly

and yes even if the RAM its split on different areas just like the X10 it will still be recognized, I'll try to find the official statement from Rikard in the official blog regarding the Xperia X10's RAM it was something like 260MB for the phone and and the rest for video or something like that. but running one of those apps will recognize the total RAM in the phone

Anonymous(anon)

os monitor and other apps tell 343.464k, that means 350 plus or minus...

but if you go straight you could see:

/system: total 320.000k

/data: total 389.120k

/sdcard: .....

/cache: 230.400k