Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Expanded housing crack - Not only top but also both sides

I purchased Xperia arc in this March. In April I found the crack on top side near the sensor as you already know. Today I realized three more cracks on both sides!!! I'm afraid that the housing will be separated into three segments. How about your cell phones?? Does it affect to the perfomance of handset?

arc.jpg

slimshaddy

Re: Expanded housing crack - Not only top but also both sides

it should not affect the phone's performance..

i just checked i also have a crack on the upper side , not above the sensor..but my phone had been dropped 2-3 times/..

the silver color and the chrome has peeled off..and i can see the crack on the chrome itself..

but my phone was dropped like inched from the ground..dont know why it came off so easily..

Anonymous(anon)

Hi,

I have some update for this issue. Before that I have to provide some information. I'm in Japan. The color is midnight blue. I purchased Xperia arc from Japanese carrier named "docomo".

According to docomo, the crack near the sensor on top side is known issue. They accept the repair or replacement to refreshed phone by free if the phone is under warranty period. However they haven't realized the crack on both side.

I asked them to repair it by free, first they told me that it will be paid service even it's under warranty period because my phone has cracks on both side. I explained that it's also same phenomenon and should be common and designed issue. Because I knew that  my friend's phone had also very similar cracks. They conceded repair by free. After that they gave me alternative Xperia arc. To my surprize the alternative one has clear cracks not only on top side but also on both side! I thought they were crazy,,, and not professional at all.

But they provided me a good news. Sony Ericsson appears to have implemented improved housing. I couldn't get from when they implemented it. But new housing has been already released according to docomo.

This issue has potentially big risk. The crack itself doesn't affect to the performance but affect to warranty. Let's say, if your handset cannot turn on, you will ask the repair. At this time if your handset have crack on both side, in my case "docomo" will charge repair fee even if it's under period.

BTW, below is the photo of alternative one. Refer to below picture.

I hope these information would be help for you guys.

arc2.jpg

slimshaddy

i have the crack at the same place like yours in the 2nd pic :smileyplain: but its not that much visible..but still..

well its good that yours will get repaired in warranty , mine will not :smileyhappy:

Trustee
Markus

Do you have any protective casing on the phone? It looks to be in bad shape . Have you dropped the phone?

Not sure if I got your timeline of event right. Has this been solved now?

Anonymous(anon)

Hello,

I hadn't put any protective casing. But I never dropped my phone.

I just wanted to know if you guys have similar crack on left or right sides like my photos. Japanese carrier "docomo" claimed that it woulld be users' fault. But I don't think so.

I don't care crack itself. I worry it affect to the warranty.If my cell phone has other trouble such as no-power and my cell phone has crack on one of side, our carrier "docomo" think my phone is damaged by dropping or hit by somewhere. And they will claim paid repair servie even it's under warranty.

Fortunately I am probably able to get improved housing by free. But I'm losing trust for Sony Ericsson a little by little.

BTW, possible root cause of the crack near the sensor would be temperature variation according to docomo. But I'm living in Tokyo not Russia. There is no big temperature variation.

Anonymous(anon)

Hello,

Probably this issue would be minor issue. I expected many people would be suffered from this issue but no. My handset has been repaired and implemented new housing.

One time poster
Barmy

I just checked my arc after reading the original post. I too have the cracks either side though they are barely visible at the moment. That is how the original crack started. I have had my phone since the UK release on 1st April 2011.

Sony Xperia Support
Samuel

I would recommend that you send this phone to a local service center so they can have a look at it. I've checked several different Arc's here and none seems to have the issue you are mentioning, but i have reported the issue too, just in case. I'll let you know if I get any further info.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

it seems like a usage problem, if you have an active lifestyle with lots of sports etc try using a case or buy experia active instead :smileyhappy: