Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Check out my home screen!

I'd move them back using TB.  Then use TB to back everything up.

Then fire up the CWM app (assuming you installed the one from the link I provided) and select the option to reboot into CWM.  There is a backup option in here - use the volume up/down buttons to move up and down. Home to select an option and Back to go back.

Installing via recovery means selecting a zip file that you've copied onto your SD card - there is an option in CWM that allows you to do this.  This installs system files.  If you screw up then you can boot into CWM (spam the volume down button while your phone is booting) and restore your backup and you're phone will be back to where it was.

BTW, CWM = Recovery.

Now, some mods can't be installed via recovery and have to be copied manually which is a chore as you need to make sure the file permissions are set correctly.  The tool I use for this is called "Root Explorer".  You can find it on the market.

Once Root Explorer is installed here is how you can install a good power widget mod:

Download the mod of your choice from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1292634  You'll end up with a file called SystemUI.apk on your computer.

Copy this file to the root folder on your SD card.

Fire up Root Explorer (you'll be asked to grant it root access) and navigate to 'sdcard'.

Long press on the SystemUI.apk file you downloaded and press "Copy".  Then use the back button to move back to your root folder, select the "system" folder and click "Paste".  If you get a warning that "system" is read-only then tap the "R/W" button in the top-right corner and try again.

Now you need to change permissions on this SystemUI.apk file.  THIS IS IMPORTANT.  Long press on the file and select "Permissions".  In the dialog box that appears change the permissions so they look like this:

Owner: [ ]

Group: [ ] [ ]

Others: [ ] [ ]

i.e. All checkboxes are off except Read and Write in the "Owner" row, Read in the "Group" row and Read in the "Others" row.  Click OK to set the permissions.

Now long press on the SystemUI.apk file and select Move.  Then select the "app" folder and click "Paste".  You will get a warning that the file already exists.  Overwrite it.  You now have a modified file in /system/app.

Then reboot your phone and Ta Da!  You have power widgets in the status bar.

It looks complicated but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.

slimshaddy

you are awesome rec :smileyhappy:

you explained ver good....

so now i have backed up thru titanium as well as cwm.. :smileyhappy:

hey buy your notification widgets are different from the thread you gave.. your's better :smileyhappy:

ok will follow your steps very carefully and hopefully add widgets in notification panel.. thanks a lot :smileyhappy:

slimshaddy

if you could can you give me your's notification system ui.apk :smileywink:

and cwm is stuck at backing up .android secure...

i think it will take some time..?

Anonymous(anon)

There are other notification mods if you'd prefer - this is the one I used on GB:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1295254

I used Ultra I think.  But there all quite similar.

Anonymous(anon)

Yes, backing up android.secure can take a few minutes.

Don't worry.  The CWM backup is worth the wait.  It's a life-saver.

Anonymous(anon)

Backing up through TB will include user apps and data - you don't want to lose your Angry Bords high scores if you ever flash a fresh new ROM do you?  :smileyhappy:

CWM backup is system stuff only - no user apps.

slimshaddy

all done.... thank again rec :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

You're welcome.  Now you have a backup so if you mess up you can recover.  :smileyhappy:

slimshaddy

hey rec , i think i did something wrong...

i have booted up with cwm because i was getting force close message when i pasted the system file..

so do we have to set permissions before we paste mod file..??

because i paste the system.ui before permissions and i keep getting force close message...

slimshaddy

i lost my notification panel :smileylaugh:

restoring through cwm..