Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Bluetooth issue introduced by 4.0.2.A.0.42 unsolved by 4.0.2.A.0.62

(This bug has been reported by many users in a previous thread http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/149400#149400 but is still not solved by latest firmware release - some more bug details are provided)

Everything was fine with Android 2.3.3 (as in  3.0.1.A.0.145)

Bug appeared with the 2.3.4 release (4.0.2.A.0.42) and is not solved in latest firmware (4.0.2.A.0.62)

Description:

When the handset goes into its sleep mode, the bluetooth disconnects.

Pressing the central button makes the phone reconnect.

Xperia Arc is now totally UNUSABLE as a handsfree phone in a car environment

More details

The disconnection is in fact not at the bluetooth connection level. According to the car dashboard :

Bluetooth connection is OK

Battery level of the handset is correctly reported

But "No service" (=no mobile network available) is wrongly stated

Waking up the phone instantaneously updates the dashboard with the network reception level (which is good).

This disconnection is not systematic : the handset may enter sleep mode while the disconnection does not occur. After some minutes, it always occur.

Phone uses stock firmware without any tweaks of fancy apps which interfere with the system.

Thanks SE to acknowledge this regression which is EXTREMELY annoying.

Best regards

Community Manager
Johan

Re: Bluetooth issue introduced by 4.0.2.A.0.42 unsolved by 4.0.2.A.0.62

Thank you for the info.

The phone doesn't know what devices it connects to via Bluetooth, just what kind of Bluetooth profile to use for the connection.

I did some test on Bluetooth in the 4.0.2.A.0.62 firmware. Connecting several different Bluetooth headset's and I can't replicate the problem with disconnections when phone enters sleep mode.

Check if Wi-Fi is enabled on your phone, if so disable it. Because sometimes Wi-Fi can conflict with Bluetooth since their both using 2.4Ghz frequency.

And if you have any task killer installed try uninstalling it just to check.

And if the disconnections still happens, make sure that you have the latest firmware for your Bluetooth module in the car.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks for your attention

1) Everything worked perfectly well from original firmware till latest Android 2.3.3 one. A modification has been introduced in 2.3.4 firmwares which appears to be a regression. This is reported by many users with embedded car bluetooth multimedia systems (from Mercedes, BMW, Nissan Totoya).

2) I will check whether disabling WiFi makes any change but I doubt it. When a disconnection is reported on the car dashboard, it always appears at the exact moment when the handset screen goes dark. Pressing the central button of the Xperia instantly reports the signal strength on the dashboard (= the reconnection). The regression is linked with an updated "power saving strategy". The issue is unfortunately not systematic (handset may go sleep without disconnection).

3) I will further check the status of other Bluetooth services (as contact transfer) when a disconnection is reported so to help

4) I have a stock firmware, no task killer nor any apps which tweak the system (screen savers, themes, ....)

Regards.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Johan,

Some further tests as promised

When "disconnected", a phonebook transfer initiated by the car works well : all contacts are downloaded from the handset which screen remains blank. The phone is not waken up and remains "disconnected" when terminated.

It confirms when "disconnected", the bluetooth connection is OK but the bluetooth profiles involved in voice calls are not available while other are.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Community Manager
Johan

I'm investigating this deeper as we speak, I'll get back to you soon.

Anonymous(anon)

I notice this always seems to be related to built-in car

bluetooth systems....i certainly don't get this with a

standard bluetooth headset.

does anyone know if this happens with any other Android

handsets (HTC, Moto, etc)?

I'm wondering if its an issue with the basic Android bluetooth

profiles, rather than a purely manufacturer issue.

Community Manager
Johan

I’m back and some tests have now been made.

The tests have been made based on the different problems reported by users here.
But it seems to be two main issues. The Bluetooth connection is either dropped completely or the car kit report that there is no network but Bluetooth connection still. But if you wake the phone manually or receive an incoming call the connection is restored.

What we have tested is:

Long time tested (2 days) the connection and network status with car kits from Toyota (CK 2010 (Denso)) , BMW and Volvo (CK 2010 (Continental) IAM 2.1)

We used several phone models running on this software and making calls from time to time and played and paused music to check the connection.

Findings:

On the Toyota and BMW kits we can’t see any strange behavior.

On the Volvo kit we did. 3 times it reported that there was no network available (only emergency call) And if we woke the display manually the network status got updated and came back, or if we tried to make a call from the car kit it updated itself and worked (even though it said no network connection) And after the call the car kit showed that it had network connection again. This seems to occur spontaneously because we could not locate any particular scenario when this happen.

The fact that the calls were possible to make could be due to the car kit implementation. A thought being that some car kit implementations might not even try to make the call if it shows no network. But we could not confirm that.

Hopefully this can help you understand the problem somewhat better, but please try to recreate a scenario when your problem appears and keep me updated. Also make sure that you’re using the latest firmware update for your car kit implementation.

*UPDATE

We have now been able to see the problem occur on the Toyota car kit as well. "No service" appeared on the car kit display but on the Toyota kit it was not possible to make out going calls when this happen. But a incoming call worked and restored the network status in the car kit.

We know believe that the problem might be caused by the phone software somehow so we will keep checking this, but we still can't find the scenario when this happens so please update me if you can find any particular scenario when this can be replicated.

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Oracle
suze

I am not very technical but thought I would chip in with my 2 cents worth here.  I have a Neo which has the same Bluetooth specs as the Arc.  I have a 2007 Nissan Note (yeah I know but ugly car but suits my purpose which is mainly Mom's taxi!) and haven't had any issues with Bluetooth connection since the most recent update.  It's very frustrating when a problem can't be pinpointed to either the device or the vehicle.  It might be interesting to see what experiences other users have with their BT kits.

One time poster
Gosx10i

I have just got a Arc S and saw the No Signal come up on the Factory Fit in my 2008 Land Rover Discovery.  I also have an issue on accepting the phonebook share request with the vehicle, that if i accept the sharing request, then the phone or car drops the BT connection every 20 sec or so.  Had the same issues with the X10i after it updated from 1.6.

I know Land Rover Juguar cars are not specified or listed on the SE website, as to which manufactures will work with the SE brand, but LR Jaguar do their own testing and as such have a list of tested phone handset that work with their factory fit systems.

Anonymous(anon)

Johan, I just wanted to let you know that I am experiencing exactly the same bluetooth disconnection problem wit my Xperia Ray on my BMW 5 series (F10).