Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Annoyance on Cell Broadcasting

Hi,

Since the last update of Sony Ericsson, I've been getting these annoying cell broadcasting messages.

With:

"Este es un mansaje de prueba sin costo".

"Que tenga un buen día"

This is the picture:

pic_01.jpg

They keep coming and coming randomly without no reason.

I've tried to uninstall the Civil Alerts or disabling it in any way.

I read while skimming through google that this are Push Messages.

Where I can't event disable this tick marck.

I can't watch movies, play games, see my email, or call any body in peace.

I can't event disable this vibration.

My android OS is : 2.3.4

Model Number: LT15a

Core Version: 2.6.32.9-perf / SEMCUser@SEMCHOST #1

Compilation Number: 4.0.2.A.0.42

All the pages on Google show solutions for Samsung Galaxy or HTC cell phones and none of these apply to my Phone.

I really need help on this. ASAP.

This is really something I can't leave out.

It's very annoying and the only solution would be to turn off my cell phone. / It's really messed up.

El mensaje fue editado por: niconik1

Trustee
Markus

Re: Annoyance on Cell Broadcasting

Hmm, try this.

Go to Messaging > Menu button > Settings > Push settings > Disable.

Let me know when you've done this.

Demigod
sushidushi

I don't know if this is relevant, but I used to get messages in the notification are at the top of the screen. Google revealed that they were 'airpush' messages, which are a particularly intrusive method of advertising embedded in some apps. You can download a free app from the Market called 'Airpush Detector' which scans your phone and lets you know which apps are using airpush advertising. You can then decide whether to keep the app and put up with the annoyance, or to delete the app and therefore stop the notifications. You can't keep the app and turn off the messages, as far as I was able to tell.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Markus,

I went to Messaging -> Menu Button -> Settings -> Push Settings --> Allow push messages check mark

This Option appears greyed, hence I can't do anything.

I touch and touch this checkmark and nothings happens (The check mark stays there allright)

:-/

Do you know why this is like that?

Is there any other solution to disable this.

Is there anyway to just uninstall "Civil Alerts" ? It's in here where I see this cell breadcasts coming in.

Please let me know.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi sushidushi,

I downloaded Airpush Detector from "Google Market" (or "Google Play" as it is now called)

This application only detects applications that use AirPush.

In my case I only found one:

Mobo Video Player Pro

com.mobo.video.player.pro

But it does not make any sense to the broadcast messages I get

My messages keep coming in spanish and this application is in english.

So it figures this has nothing to do with the messaging.

As I used your suggestion on "Google Market" it suggested me to download Addons Detector (This last application was more complex in its use so I didn't bother looking further on how it works)

Thanks still.

Anonymous(anon)

All,

I want to let you know I called my cell phone provider in my local country / city (Chile / Santiago)

I complained this issue to them.

They mentioned it is a cell phone broadcasting which is coming from a mayor national organization.

What they do is send lots of test messages and they come to certain smartphones.

They do this so the person is informed in case of a mayor crisis like hurricanes, earthquakes, or any emergency coming up.

They told me this and let me know that after my complain they will put this service out of my cell phone. (As I mentioned it is really pointless to have this on my cell phone. I have it for personal phone calls and this service only disables the main purpose of my cellphone)

(If I would be informed of such disasters, there is always the news, Internet, and the any other press ;-/ )

It is really frustrating that my smartphone having Android and all that does not let you disable this service unless you try and do some unofficial hacking on the device which risks on breaking the cell phone OS).

Demigod
sushidushi

I am glad you found a solution - that's the main thing! And if you do get odd messages in the notification area, you now know where they're coming from... :smileyhappy:

Trustee
Markus

Just for your information, we escalated this yesterday to straighten this out. I will let you know when I have more information on this.

If I got you last message correct, your carrier disabled this for your phone, right? So the problem is solved?

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Markus.

You are correct: The problem is solved from the carrier side.

I had to make a mayor complaint to them.  They apologized and the messages stopped coming.

I would still like to know if there is a way to disable this function from the smartphone, incase it happens again but from a different source.

By the way: I took the time to upload some screenshots from my smartphone, so you will get a clearer picture of what happened.

Thanks.

Trustee
Markus

I have received confirmation that the phone cannot turn this of. The must be done by the operator.