Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Actual RAM..!!

Arc S.  I posted some more info on the ICS beta here:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/166206

I love it.

slimshaddy

just 78 mb free.. :smileyplain: this is worse than GB...

i get around 150 Mb free after a reboot...

Anonymous(anon)

It is a beta.  :smileyhappy:

slimshaddy

up.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Guys, I'm an Xperia Pro MK16i Owner.I'm writing just to inform you about the ram display values:

You will NEVER get a total of 512/1024/whateveryouthinkyouhave MB Ram available, because of Linux kernel design (not Android).

in my phone I only get ~350MB Total ram available (Free+used by system service AND system applications). Where are the 512-350MB gone? They are just reserved to the Kernel space for device modules and internal kernel allocations. They are not visible because while all normal processes can be killed to free ram (even system services), the kernel memory is reserved ONLY for kernel space, so applications must reside in the remaining visile 350MB.

To confirm this i've got a linux machine running right now, with 2048 MB Ram, but the stats display i've got only 2005 available. Just take any Linux machine and you will se this.

I can only say: the Kernel on our Xperias is taking so much memory... On my desktop machine it's only taking 43MB... Very strange (Or very bad optimization from our Xperia devs :smileysilly: ) Maybe with the freexperia mod it's not the same... :smileyhappy:

Sorry for my bad english! I hope to be helpful for all of you!

slimshaddy

thanks pxpert for the detailed informtion :smileyhappy: i'll mark your comment as helpful so that others can also see your reply.

feel free to search more threads and provide such valueable information :smileyhappy:

One time poster
raixer

hi pxpert, just like you've said it because of Kernel. I've seen some other android phones on store (some samsung galaxy's), and they also have same problem with ram capacity, on galaxy phone that have 1gb of ram (I forget the type) they only have total (used+free) about 800mb. so its not our xperia, but its the android. :smileysilly:

One time poster
mikejodhan

yes that's true.
On my friend's motorola photon, there is 1gb ov available ram, but only 768 is accessible

One time poster
rvchahal

In my Xperia S 543MB used and 104 MB Free

Total = 650 MB , but what about the rest, as product description says it has 1024MB RAM???

Forum Legend
uliwooly

read the first pages

some of the RAM is only accessible by the OS

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)