Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Xperia Active GPS not as good as X10 Mini Pro

A new update is availble that includes GLONASS gps support. Anyone tried it yet? And care to share their results?

Visitor
Ifor

I belive GLONASS support is automatic at least acording to this article it is.  Using the gps test app with my active I do look to be seeing some of the GLONASS satelites and with an X8 I don't get to see them.  The reported accuracy sitting where I am now (indoors and not optimal for gps) is about 3 times better on the Active than the X8 but how much of that is due to GLONASS I don't know. 

Anonymous(anon)

That's interesting. How can you tell if you are seeing Glonass satellites?  Android phones do not seem to report GPS accuacy in any consistent way. Easily the worst handset for GPS accuracy I've tested is the Xperia Arc though it often reports it is the most accurate. Here is 4 handsets in the middle of a football field compared with GPS test. Handsets are co-located and running GPS Test. Screen shows satellites visible and in use, signal to noise and accuracy From Left to right handsets are the Google Nexus S, Google Nexus One, Sony Ericsson x10 Mini Pro, Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC.http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6184/6135661513_35975d31fb.jpg

The Xperia ARC is reporting the best accuracy but it can see the least satellites and number of satellites is a good proxy for accuracy. Other testing has shown the ARC to be poor.

Anonymous(anon)

Filtering will work much better if I know what filtering has already been applied and better still if I start with data that hasn't already been corrected with previous values.

Anonymous(anon)

Dear Markus, I was hoping for a definitive answer from someone in a position to know but you say "

I guess it uses newer hardware parts. Software could play a role as well I guess." Can you please change the question to not yet answered and get advice from someone who might know inside Sony E. Specifically can you get answers to "This must mean some sort of filtering e.g. Kalman, that is using past GPS locations to predict future ones. Is the filtering algorithm available to developers? Is filtering done in the GPS chip or the handset firmware?"

Thanks Ifor, for your input. I think the overshoot is happening when the GPS signal is marginal. I'm pretty sure you will not get it when you are walking as past position is too poor a predictor of future position at low speed. I think the orientation was probably important as you suggest as well as any other metal stuff in the jersey pocket. I've since read the manual which says the GPS aerial is on the side of the handset.

Anonymous(anon)

Jehan, the X10 mini pro is dirt cheap and the GPS seems as good or better than the active but its not nearly as good a handset in many other ways. Battery life has been proving the biggest problem on the x10 mini pro for me but only having Android 2.1 is a problem as well. I've been tracking lots of bicycle races including the Tour Down Under which is the first event of the UCI World Tour. I wrote up some notes on tracking at http://blog.urremote.com/2012/02/adventures-tracking-bicycle-racing-why.html .

The Acitve seemed to track pretty well. I haven't got the bike mounting quite right though as I managed to crack the screen on one.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7009/6833435697_f2010ed49a.jpg

Anonymous(anon)

Open up GPS test application (as in your picture)

From what I can see from your picture none of the 4 mobiles have it active (or just can't see any sats)

Anonymous(anon)

So I bought this device and indeed, GPS is horrible compared to my Galaxy S. The GPS signal is lost every 5minutes or so (so the signal "jumps"). However, this is apparantly a known issue with all Xperia's and a fix is hopefully on the way...

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/25770?start=0&tstart=0

Commissioner
DeGraaff

Maybe GPS reception is worse because of the double back cover?

Rookie
ziakrado

No, isnt´t. It doesn´t depence on double back cover. But I agree, that xperia Active got problem with gps, when you check only GPS satelites. Now I am testing, I choose everything GPS satelites, internet (WI-fi) and google search in settings of positioning data.