Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Xperia Active GPS not as good as X10 Mini Pro

I've been using the Xperia X10 Mini Pro for tracking cyclists and am currently trying the Active because it has longer battery life and is lighter. However the early indications are that the GPS isn't as good as the X10 Mini Pro. In the video below M. Rogers is using the Active and everyone else the Xperia X10 Mini Pro.

M. Rogers is obviously tracking worse. One sample is not enough to be definitive but has anyone else found the GPS to be less accurate than the X10 mini pro? M is overshooting the corners but not jumping sideways on the straights. This must mean some sort of filtering e.g. Kalman, that is using past GPS locations to predict future ones. Is the filtering algorithm available to developers? Is filtering done in the GPS chip or the handset firmware? Are the raw GPs readings available? If so they are most likely to be available through the NMEA interface but if the algorithm is applied in the GPS chipset then the NMEA values will be the same as the Android location.

Ifor

Re: Xperia Active GPS not as good as X10 Mini Pro

Interesting video.  I have not done any back to back comparisons when I have had two devices out with me as I typicaly have one mounted on the bars and one in my back pocket so I would not consider the comparison valid.  I will have a look in the future and see if there is anything obvious.  I will be comparing X8 to Active.

With proper mounting to the bike and using the various phone sensors and Ant based speed you sould be able to put quite a good filter on top of the basic GPS data.  It would be interesting how much you could improvew your finishing line senario.

Trustee
Markus

Interesting indeed. I don't know if there are meant to be any differences between these phones. Xperia active is a newer phone model and I guess it uses newer hardware parts.

Software could play a role as well I guess.

Make sure to go to Settings > Location & security > Use wireless networks. This will make it more accurate and also quicker in terms of getting the location in first place.

Ifor

I have reviewed a good number of gps tracks I have recorded on the bike withh IpBike in the last few days as I have been adding in a screen to review the plot post ride on the phone.  With the phone mounted on the bike I have not seen the effect ken was seeing.  I havve had a good look at the routes around the roundabouts localy and I seam to of been getting nice tracks, no strange overshoots.  Out walking with the phone things are not so good, it is sometimes not picking up the turns as quickly as I would want I get posibly 2 or 3 seconds of hesitation.  The other thing I think I see is an improvment in gps perfomance when I switch off the other radios e.g. going into airplane mode (but with ant still on) I think is a bit better but that may just be me imagening it.

Ifor

Trustee
Markus

Thanks for sharing Ifor!

Ifor

Very strange today.  I did a couple of laps of the new MTB lap then a lap of the older track.  I forgot the bike mount so the Active was in my jersy pocket.  I took it out after the first bit and then put it back in for the second bit.  The gps logging on the first half was woefull but on the second half it was as good as normal.  I guess there may be an orientation issue but don''t know how I had it on either occasion.

Route here. The total distance from the gps is 2 km over compared to the Ant+ sensors IpBike uses for it's internal distance when avalible.

Anonymous(anon)

I'm about to purchase a small smartphone which I only plan on using as sportstracker / mp3 player. I will be using Endomondo/Runkeeper.

I will be running alot in forests/woods. Is the Xperia Active a valid choice? Or would it be better to buy a second hand X10 mini? IP67 is offcourse a big plus.

Has anyone used this device in forests for tracking runs? How is the tracking (alot of jumping/sidetracking.

For the moment I'm still using my Samsung Galaxy S. But this device is to big and the GPS is really crappy in forests.

Ifor

Here are some wooded tracks I have recored orientearing with the Active.

http://www.ar.attackpoint.org/sessiondata.jsp?sessionid=2254212

http://www.ar.attackpoint.org/sessiondata.jsp?sessionid=2239823

http://www.ar.attackpoint.org/sessiondata.jsp?sessionid=2229013

Here is the biking one that was bad for the first half still not at all sure why.

http://www.ar.attackpoint.org/sessiondata.jsp?sessionid=2250550

This is of course winter but some coniferus woods so no difference to summer.  I don't have any previous experiance to compare with but it looks to normaly do a good job for me with just the one bad route.

Anonymous(anon)

How are the 3 "good" tracks compaired to ipBike?

kentaylor: did you record any other tracks that have the same weird behavior?

Ifor

The tracks were recorded with Ipbike running on the Active.  I don't have anthing to compare them to but they look about right for where I thought I was going and there are not any obvious big discontinuitys in the data.  The gps handeling in the IpBike is fairly standard no extra filtering is performed.

I have not had another insident like the bad track I got, getting on for about 50 activities recorded now, so I am not too worried but would like to know the cause.