Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)
Accepted Solution

ANT+ compatibility

Hi there,

is anyone using a heart rate monitor (HRM) with the Xperia Active?

Which HRM (ANT+) exactly are supported? Is there a list?

Does anyone know something abot the SIGMA PC 25.10, is it compatible?

I'll buy the phone if it supports it!

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Mike

Visitor
Ifor

Re: ANT+ compatibility

I can't see anything indicating the Sigma PC 25.10 is Ant+ from what I saw with a quick google.

http://www.thisisant.com/modules/mod_product-directory.php? lets you look at a list of certified products by catogory.  Select HR for a list.  You have both recievers and treansmiters on the list unfortunatly.  I have been working with the Garmin strap without any trouble.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks! This information, especially the link was very helpful!

Unfortunately the list is not quite up to date. Most links are down.

I wrote them and asked them to update the list.

I wrote Sigma too and they said that non of their products is ANT+ compliant. :smileysad:

I must admit that I'd like to see much more information about this ANT+ feature on SE's website.

I guess ANT+ is something like an open standard for heart rate transmission and others are using their own standards...

Anonymous(anon)

ANT+ is a 'standard' in the same way as bluetooth, USB and wi-fi.  Be aware that ANT+ is not the same as ANT (no +).  So there's no 'backward' compatibility. 

I use a Cycleops heart strap and that works.  Also Cyclops speed senor and a quarq power meter.  However, as others have spotted the Imapmyfitness application is pants and actually crashes out pretty much constantly.  In fairness then I'm not too bothered as I have other head units that I'd actually want to use in preferenece to the phone anyway, although once Quarq get the android app sorted then I will use the ANT+ to be able to do firmware updates without needing to buy an Iphone / Wahoo adapter.

Garmin, Cycleops both do ANT+ gear.   There are others too.  Note that currently Polar do not do ANT+, they use a different system.

You may find http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/09/hands-on-review-of-sony-ericsson-xperia.html helpful for some info on how you can use the ANT+ features.

Anonymous(anon)

Google My Tracks is a popular sports tracking app that connects to ANT+ sensors. It was used connecting via ANT+ to bicycles with SRM power meters to make this video:-

Inhabitant
higwayman

"+" is for Sports

Visitor
Ifor

+ is not realy just sport.

ANT is essentialy a radio standard.  ANT+ is a set or protocols that use the ANT radio standard for specific tasks.  Decives using the same ANT+ profile should be compatible with each other.  There are ANT+ profiles for Bike speed and cadence sensors,  Bike Power sensors, Heart rate monitors, foot pods etc.  There are also ANT+ profiles for weight scales, GeoCaches with others in development for none sporting things. 

There is some complication in that some manufacturers have implemented devices using ANT that there are profiles for but not using the ANT+ profile, not a good thing at all.

From the mobile point of view if ANT compatible the phone has the capability to use the ANT radio system.  How the system is used depends upon the app.  The app needs to have the nessesary code to understand the apropriate ANT+ profile to be able to interface with an ANT+ device.

For more information about ANT see This is ANT.  For a listing of ANT+ hardware devices check the Product Directory.  There is not yet a listing for ANT+ capable apps but there are some out there.  If you want a bike computer I am working on IpBike which supports the bike speed and cadence, power and heart rate ANT+ profiles.

Anonymous(anon)

I have Polar WearLink Coded Transmitter, will it work with Active? I cannot find any info if this Polar is using ANT+

Visitor
Ifor

None of the Polar products are ANT+  They use there own propriority protocol that will only work with there own hardware.  They do have a bluetooth heart rate belt but I think it clearly has bluetooth in the name and costs twice as much...