Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Visitor

Xperia z glass back cracked on it's own?!

Morning all, I've had my Xperia Z six weeks and yesterday I took my phone out my pocket and the screen was all cracked! I honest do not recall running into anything, I had loose pockets (not tight jeans) and have certainly not dropped the phone. I was using it on and off all day and just all of a sudden the back glass had cracked. I'll get a photo uploaded later on today.

Do you think Sony will replace the handset? Or should I speak to my carrier O2? The phone is insured but there is a £50 to claim on it and since it's still working fine I'm not going to claim on it. I don't think I should really have to claim on insurance though since it's broke on it's own accord.

Any advice would be much apprechiated!

Highlighted
One time poster

Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

I have a 1 month old Z, I fitted the roxio genuine bumper and screen protectors on it the day of purchase. Today, after I took the phone out of my front jeans pocket, a couple of small cracks have appeared coming from the edge of the glass that look like they were caused by an impact or a slight twsiting of the phone, but there was nothing else in my pocket or any mis-handling of the phone in any way! I'm dissapointed the screen damaged so easily and now the top half of the touchscreen is totally unresponsive. I upgraded from the Iphone due to very weak screens. Would this damage be covered by the Sony warranty? Anyone else have similar experiences?

Elite

Re: Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket

I've seen other threads/posts on cracked screen, on user dropped his from a table and he claimed that since the Xperia Z its advertised as durable Sony should repair it for free. I've seen another user who has never dropped nor put extra pressure on the phone and there is a small crack on the screen after watching a movie for 95minutes, it could be the same issue with you, could you post a picture of the crack.

it could be a manufacturer issue, just like the Xperia Arc's housing cracks, at first Sony deny it was their issue but users fault, later they admitted it was a manufacturer issue and they replaced the housing free of charge, this could be the case.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster

Pictures attached, if need better i wil try with other camera. Also, the crack has got progressively worse through the day!IMG_6989.JPGIMG_6987.JPGIMG_6987.JPGIMG_6986.JPGIMG_6988.JPG

Elite

I've seen that with one of my xperias, and that time I had my phone in my pocket but there was too much pressure and it cracked, I've seen other people that leave the screen facing front (in their pockets) and they bump into something and the screen cracks, not just Sony phones but other phones, this is not covered by warranty. as you can see something hit it hard on right side or your keys or something was in your pocket + pressure = cracks.

you have 2 options

1) take it to a sony repair center and ask them how much they will charge you to replace it

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

or

2) you could replace it yourself, now this is a lot cheaper BUT it will void your warranty and you might damage your phone if you aren't careful.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster

The damage looks like it was caused by a sharp object, but there was nothing else in my pocket with it and i was sat at my office desk the whole day. I'm really dissapointed it should have cracked like this..

Elite

it doesn't have to be a sharp object, it could be a coin + pressure

One time poster

DO NOT PUT XPERIA Z IN JEAN'S FRONT POCKET WHEN DOING SPORTS !

Such as jumping, crouching would distort the Xperia Z in your jean's pocket and shutter the glass. Xperia Z has a slim style and a weak frame which could be heavily distorted in a tight jean's pocket. So don't be suprise on glass broken in your pocket without any reason.

Elite

I don't think is that weak but its common sense not to have a smartphone in your pockets if you are playing/doing sports silly

Regular

The screen on my XZ cracked after i dropped it to sand from max 30cm height. It seems to me that the XZ is extremely fragile and poorly built. New screen/front assembly cost me 480euros cry