Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
martin321

Xperia Z will not charge when device is OFF

Hi guys,

I got this after updating the firmware of the device. The device would not charge no matter what I do (plug it from the included wall adaptor or USB sockets from the computer). It will charge normally if the device is on but if I turn it off it won't charge at all! No light, no nothing

Please help.

I updated using PCC and tried to repair the update using Sony update service. I have tried factory resetting my phone. This feature worked because I charged it fully before I opened my phone for the first time.

per
One time poster
per

Re: Xperia Z will not charge when device is OFF

This corresponds to my other thread - with the Z not charging unless the USB drivers are up and running fine.

Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Also if the phone is off due to having run completely flat it will take quite a while before you see an obvious response to charging, particularly when charging via PC.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

One time poster
martin321

Thanks Sam and per for your response. I have looked at the thread and will try your solution.

Oh and Sam what do you mean it will take quite a while before I see an obvious response? I have tried just leaving it plugged in for 40 min after turning it off completely and when i turned it on there was no change in battery charge..

I might just let it run down and see if it will somehow charge when off.

One time poster
martin321

Ok I have tried draining it and leaving the cable plugged in (~ 8 hours) and it did not charge at all. And it charges normally using USB and WALL but only if the device is ON. Turn it off and PUFF it's like it's in a deep sleep state even the time is frozen and shows the time when I turned it OFF

I did some digging around and apart from per's thread there is also another one who showed problems with charging.

Per's Thread

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/125076

Other Thread with exact same problem

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/124155?start=0&tstart=0

One time poster
hirundak

I have the same issue. So the only work around for this is make sure you put it to charge before the battary drains fully. Otherwise it takes many hours untill it decides to start charging. I kept it plugged to the AC plug point overnight didnt charge at all but in the morning after few hrs it switched on but the battery hasn't charged at all it was charging from 1%.

Really wwired and annoying.

Hope ther will be a solution for this soon.

And also it doesnt charge with any USB cable for me. You have to use the sony one.

One time poster
adawong

I have the same problem with you but i can't use PPC and US to fix the problem as my phone can not boot in flash mode.

Is it can only be sent to warranty?

Genius
GeoffH

I believe if you leave it on the charger for long enough it will eventually charge

this is a bug that needs attention and is known

One time poster
martin321

Hopefully they sort it out soon. I've learned to live with it but I wanted to charge my battery when it's off to be as gentle on the battery as I can. (not replaceable so yeah) Now i just put it on airplane mode and turn off the screen to have as little load as possible.

One time poster
Mark808

I have this problem too. It happened the other day since my battery totally ran out. It won't even charge using the official Sony dock (dk26)

Does this need a repair or will it be corrected in a future update?

Anyone at Sony have any answers?