Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
coyote82

Xperia Z does not work with car BLUETOOTH handsfree module

Hi Everyone!

I've just changed to Xperia Z from iPhone, and I would be a very satisfied user, if the phone wouldn't piss me off with a bluetooth problem: I'm driving a 2004 BMW E46 with stock bluetooth module, which has worked perfectly with Blackberries and iPhones so far. Now Xperia Z has the following issues:

1. after successful pairing, the phone quickly connects to the car module. When I want to call someone, the Bluetooth logo appears just fine, but as soon as the other person picks up at the end of the line, the connection is dropped and the logo disappears, the phone switches to the integrated speaker. After the call, BT connection is usually up and running again.

This is extremely annoying and I really won't change neither my car, nor the BT system just to resolve that. The phone is the "new guy" in the system...

In the meantime my old iPhone works just perfectly with the module.

2. other issue is the phone directory: the module is reading some random names and numbers which are not even visible on my phone! Where are they coming from? However, this secondary problem is not so important, if problem #1 is not resolved, I can't even use the handsfree.

Please help me, otherwise I'll need to return to my iphone which I really don't want to. Thank you

Apprentice
drlmiles

Re: Xperia Z does not work with car BLUETOOTH handsfree module

I'm surprised you're having problems. My phone worked straight off after pairing in my Renault Espace. My system is older, and does not take the numbers from the phone dynamically, although you can send the numbers from the phone to the car to store if you wish.  After a power disconnection of my car system I had problems with the car system dialling wrong numbers,  and ending up wiping everything from the car and starting again.  I mention this because the random numbers you are getting Might mean a problem on the car side rather than the phone, although that would not explain why your iPhone worked OK still.

gregorg1

Hello,

the phone should work with a BMW.

In the past I had some problems to connect with BMW bluetooth handsfree modules, but they were manageable. Now I drive Volkswagen and this time there were no problems.

How did you do the pairing? Initiated from the phone or from the car? Delete pairing and try the other way.

In the XZ bluetooth menu click on the car entry and uncheck Media audio if you don´t need it.

In contacts menu of the phone klick options then filter. Scroll down to "show contact" and uncheck the contactcs you don´t want to see in your telephone. Usually the contacts you get in the car phonebook are from SIM-Contacts. A lot of providers (here in Germany) preinstall expensive service numbers in their SIM cards.

As I think about it....I remember there were some bluetooth settings with my BMW. I think you can choose in the car menu where the contacts in adressbook come from. But im not shure because my last BMW is gone 3 years before....

Kind Regards

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Other than the suggestions above, it would be worth checking with the carkit manufacturer if your handset is on their list of compatible devices or if at least a number of recent Android devices are listed as compatible with it.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

One time poster
bojanfalk

Hi!

I have a similar issue as Coyote82.

I have a BMW520 2011 with the factory fitted BlueTooth Handsfree.

It has worked perfectly for 1.5 years with my Xperia Arc, Xperia S and Xperia MiniPro. Now when I just replaced my Xperia Arc with a Xperia Z it wont pair properly! The pairing starts OK and initially everything seems to be OK, but I notice the phone gets constantly polled by the car BT about phonebook updates etc. I do get a question on the phone about allowing the car BT to download stuff (seems like at least 3 different things) and I answer "Yes". The phonebook entries come over at first but then after a while it just drops the pairing and even more it clears all the entries of previously paired and perfectly working phones. I can then inititiate the pairing again and it's all fine for a few minutes and then everything dissapears. I have the very latest Firmware from BMW for the Bluetooth Car HF and the Xperia Z also has the latest FW (10.1.A.1.434).

As long as I do not pair the Xperia Z all other phones work perfectly fine. But as soon as I try to pair with it all info about the other phones are gone and I have to pair them again.

I have tried "unpairing" the Z and redoing all steps both from the Car BT side and from Xperia side with the same results.

Best regards

Genius
GeoffH

make sure wifi is turned off and stamina mode is off and try again

there are reported issues with wifi and BT

One time poster
coyote82

Hi Sam,

I've checked the compatibility list, but there are very few (only 3) not so popular Sony Ericsson devices listed.

However, all iPhones and other new Android (Samsung S3, etc) devices are listed and are actually working with it perfectly (tested).

Can Sony look into this problem? I really love this phone and would be a waste to sell it just because of this incompatibility.

I hope it's just a  hickup at the beginning and software update will resolve.

Genius
GeoffH

did you try as I suggested above ?

One time poster
coyote82

I tried with Stamina off (I thought it's maybe inactivating something when the display if off), but not with wifi off. I will check asap.

Genius
GeoffH

it will work with wifi off - there is a known problem with the two interfereing with eachother

A genuine bug that needs addressed