Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
HeliLessons

Xperia Z Charging Issues

I've seen many people post problems regarding charging the Xperia Z.  I have done some informal experiments and this is what I have found:

1.  Like many smartphones the Sony Xperia Z appears to consume a great deal of power in normal use.  This qualitative observation is confirmed by the fact that, in normal use, parts of the phone can easily become almost too hot to hold - certainly when being used for navigational purposes in a car.  I have found that it is easy to run down a fully charged battery in about 4 hours, simply by enabling all its features.  Phones which have such poor battery capacity are, in my view, completely unsatisfactory.

2.  If the user switches off all power-consuming processes and functions (e.g. the backlight, GPS, WiFi, etc.) then the user may find that attaching their own charger/PC/cable combination will only charge the phone v e r y   s l o w l y.  And if you have a 'normal' set of functions enabled then the charger cannot keep up and the phone's battery will gradually discharge despite it being plugged in.  To resolve this problem you really need a proper charging lead and charger to charge the Xperia - at least if you want it to charge faster than it is using up power!  Just attaching any old lead say to your PC probably won't be satisfactory because the way the charger/PC/cable are wired may mean that the Xperia will only draw a maximum of about 0.16 amps.

3.  A 'normal' USB charger can usually supply 0.5 amp.  Some can supply up to 1.5 amps or more.  The Xperia Z appears only to be capable of accepting an absolute maximum of 0.75 amps (as long as the correct charger/cable is used) no matter what it is doing.  If it is fully discharged and the phone is switched off, then nearly all this current is devoted to charging the device.  If you switch it on and start to use other functions then it seems that the charging is done at an accordingly slower rate.

4.  Placing the Xperia in a Sony cradle charges at the same rate as it is if it is plugged into the Micro-USB connector.

(The above represents only cursory testing and may be inaccurate - please treat the data with caution.)

Talent
CoolRaoul

Re: Xperia Z Charging Issues

2.  If the user switches off all power-consuming processes and functions (e.g. the backlight, GPS, WiFi, etc.) then the user may find that attaching their own charger/PC/cable combination will only charge the phone v e r y   s l o w l y. 

I don't unterstand this sentence: you seem to mean that we have to swicth power-consuming process *on* to reduce charging time.

It's doesn't make sense!

Enthusiast
themanspirit

:smileyquestion:  Reading your post makes me understand why the Sony Compact Car Charger AN401 has such a high output charge of 1200mA, compared to aftermarket car chargers.

Before purchasing it I researched online and locally about it, and options.

Apart from easily being the most compact, and complimentary to my ZL.

I noticed it provided a much higher charge output than the aftermarket options I was recommended instead.

So high infact, that it's just 300mA short of the 1500mA output from the EP880 fast charger included with my ZL.

My experience with the ZL in-car has been to incresase the Battery Low warning to 20% remaining, rather than 10%.

Otherwise I can highly recommend the Sony Compact Car Charger AN401

Even if it's not so easy to obtain locally.

Here in New Zealand, where the Z is sold officially, as will the Z1.

Amazingly Sony Mobile NZ don't sell it. :smileyconfused:

I had to use Ebay to get myself one, and very satisfied in doing so too.  :smileysmileythumbsup:

Let us know how you get on,

:smileygood_luck:

One time poster
pakistanzindabad

last month my xperia z charging port ws broken and now i bought my qi wireless charger but my phone is still not getting onn :smileycry:

Talent
CoolRaoul

pakistanzindabad wrote:

last month my xperia z charging port ws broken and now i bought my qi wireless charger but my phone is still not getting onn :smileycry:

Xperia Z is not QI Compatible

Talent
CoolRaoul

[ Edited ]

3.  A 'normal' USB charger can usually supply 0.5 amp.  Some can supply up to 1.5 amps or more.  The Xperia Z appears only to be capable of accepting an absolute maximum of 0.75 amps (as long as the correct charger/cable is used) no matter what it is doing.  If it is fully discharged and the phone is switched off, then nearly all this current is devoted to charging the device.  If you switch it on and start to use other functions then it seems that the charging is done at an accordingly slower rate.

I can confirm this and I think this a real problem with this phone.

It's really problematic when used in car with GPS application running (Waze)

I've tested multiples combinaisons of cables and chargers (including Anker high performance model and also Sony AN401 car charger and cable) and, in any case, never been able to have the observed battery charge rate exceeds 800Ma.

A Nexus 5 plugged on the *same* cable and charger, running the *same* application (waze) does effectively gets  a noticeable battery level increase in that configuration (measured 5% per 10mn which leads to +30%/hour where the Z is loosing 10% charge/hour here)

Also tested with a galaxy note 3 mini, which has gone from 63% to more than 90% battery level in about one hour (but hardware is to much dissimilar here to be a valid comparison)

What's the cause of this problem with the Z? Any hope to have it fixed?