Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
fuzzieza

Data transfer from Nokia N8 -> Xperia Z

Hi,

I hope someone can help.  I'm trying to transfer all my stuff from my Nokia N8 to an Xperia Z.  PC Companion seems to only support transfering stuff from iPhone :smileysad:  I've managed to save my contacts from Nokia Suite as a bunch of vCards and import that into GMail.  Similarly I saved my calendar backup as a vCal file and imported that into Google Calendar.  So far, so good ... how can I transfer

* SMSs

* MMSs

* bookmarks

* media and other files

I can export SMSs from Nokia Suite into a CSV file, but I don't see any way to get that into the Z.  Likewise I'm stuck for ideas on MMSs and bookmarks.

Pictures, Videos and Audio files I should be able to transfer using MTP, but it seems I'm stuck on other files.  It would seem I'd have to buy an SD card, copy the other files to that and plug the SD card into the Z.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Andries

Genius
GeoffH

Re: Data transfer from Nokia N8 -> Xperia Z

contacts and sms

this worked for me

http://www.jonasbark.de/smsconverter.html

One time poster
fuzzieza

It doesn't totally solve my problem, but it looks like it could help.  I'll have to break out some scripting to convert the CSV file I have into the XML format it expects and then see if that works.  Sadly, I'm still stuck with transfering MMSs, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Sony Xperia Support
Rickard

The following app advertises support for transferring data between different platforms: http://www.rerware.com/. I'm not able to test if it works and see what you can transfer though.

One time poster
fuzzieza

I'll have a look at that.

What I eventually ended up doing was

1/ Use http://sourceforge.net/projects/nbuexplorer/ to export the contacts as XML (arrghh)

2/ Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en on the Android phone

3/ Use http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34099794/XML2Android.exe to convert the XML to the layout used by SMS Backup and Restore

4/ Copy the converted XML file to the Android phone

5/ Restore the contacts with SMS Backup and Restore

6/ Profit!

That doesn't cover MMS; I'm still looking for a way to do those.  MMSs are essentially just emails.

This would be a valuable addition to PC Companion.  Even better would be a Data Transfer tool like that shipped with the Nokia Symbian phones that let you transfer everything (over Bluetooth or we have Wifi Direct now) once you've paired the new phone with the old one.

Andries

One time poster
goosey

how did you save your calendar? I've looked at my back up file but i can't open it, it says

N8-00_2013-06-08.nbu

Please help the calendar and notes contain my daughters milestones over the last 3 years.

I'm regretting leaving Nokia

Apprentice
asbjorneliassen

I did it the reverse way when I had to activate my N8 for a short while.

N8 can't sync to google, but to outlook.com (former hotmail.com) via the exchange email connector. Most online services are good at importing from others.

I synced all my google contacts to outlook.com

then I set up a outlook.com exchange account on the N8 to also sync contacts to the phone.

To do it the other way:

Make a outlook.com account, make phone sync all info to outlook.com.

Make a google account, fetch contacts from outlook.com to google.com

Sync phone to google.

For media files they are normally easy to spot on the phone filesystem and just transfer them, either via nokia suite and pc companion, or by just plugging in both phones and move the files.

SMS I have given up on collecting whenever I change phone. I never read the old ones. Should be pure text somewhere in the filesystem.

MMS... well here the phone manufacturers should have thought about something, but I think the mmses are somehow standard (info is close to email with sender, recievers, topic, message and attachment) and can be moved around if you just can find them on the filesystem and insert them in the new phone.

--

A

Message was edited by: asbjorneliassen - adding text about media files and sms/mms

Visitor
dcajetan

Hi,

Just got my Xperia Z and was trying to figure out the simplest and easiest way to get all my contacts from my old nokia n8 to the new xperia z.

This is what i did...

1. I have a google (gmail) account so that took care of the xperia side of things.

2. i needed to get all my contacts into my gmail account.

3. Gmail allows you to import both CSV and .VCF files. So I had to have a CSV or VCF file.

4. Nokia Suite allows to export files but only into .VCF :smileysad:

5. Now I have 2000 .VCF Files, and importing one by one BIG CHALLENGE.

6. TRY Magic :smileyhappy:

Windows PC  Go to => Run CMD => and go to the directory where these VCF files are stored

Now Run this command

copy /B *.vcf all_in_one.vcf

Now all your VCF files are in one file and it is called ALL_IN_ONE.VCF

7. Open your gmail account and select import contacts. here select this file called all_in_one.vcf and

VOILA !!!! you will find all your contacts in Gmail.

8. Simply sync your Xperia contacts with Gmail.... And you are done....

Simple and effective isnt it??

Cheers!

One time poster
JannetWells

Transfer data between different OSes may be troublesome sometimes.  I also felt headachy when I switch to new Sony.

ftr
Visitor
ftr

Hi,

I have the same problem with the transfer of my contacts from a Nokia n97 mini to the Sony Xperia Z.

I was able to export the contacts as single vcf files and import them via PC Companion, but the position of first name and family name changed - so all contacts are sorted by first name, very useful - and the phone numbers did not retain the info whether they were business, domestic, mobile: all mixed up.

Is there any way in controlling the positioning of the fields  to be imported and the meaning of the phone numbers (domestic, business, mobile) ?

I had to exchange the Xperia for a second time in 3 months because the OS update completely blocked the phone.

If Sony wants to produce a flagship that survives on the market they have to invest in programming !

The excellent screen is not enough.

Cheers

ftr