Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
helilessons

Charging Dock DK26 - Does it cause Xperia Z screen to crack?

I think the design of the Xperia Z Charging Dock (DK26) may be causing screens to crack.  Here's my reasons:

I keep the DK26 charging dock next to my bed to charge the phone at night which displays a night clock/alarm on the screen.  A few evenings ago I was using the Xperia to browse my mail and read the news and then placed it in the dock as usual.  The next morning I woke up, pulled the Xperia Z out of the cradle and noticed the screen had a crack in it!  How had this happened?  I treat the device VERY carefully and have never had a cracked screen with any phone before - I just couldn't understand it.

After some thought I realised that the place the crack had started was aligned with one of the plastic 'guides' in the dock.  I think these caused the problem.  The reasons are as follows:

1.  When you fit the supplied screen protectors, it tends to make the device a little thicker and less slippery.  This means that putting it into the dock is just that much more difficult to get in and out.

2.  The point pressure on the screen where it is touched by the tip of the guides is probably very high - not helped by the fact that there is a spring-loaded lever built into the back of the dock design to raise the electrical contacts so that they go into the side of the phone as you slide it in.  I can see why Sony designed this arrangement because if the contacts were permanantly exposed and you accidentally dropped a piece of metal onto them then it would cause an electrical short circuit and probably blow up the charger.  However, the problems I believe this arrangement has caused (in my case at least) leads me to think it is not ideal.

Overall in my view this is not a satisfactory design and my advice to users is to be very careful about how they insert the phone and withdraw it.  My advice to Sony is to revisit this design and see if something can be done to improve it otherwise a lot of cracked screens will result.

Visitor
Vritra

Re: Charging Dock DK26 - Does it cause Xperia Z screen to crack?

Because those "plastic 'guides'" are for the back of the device and the frame of the case is higher than the back cover your "explanation" for the crack can only be false.:smileydevil:

Sage
JakeSully

never happened to me :/ either there is a sharp plastic peice sticking out of the guide things on side scraping on your protection cover or pressing towards the screen when phone is attached to dock so you should check dock for any sharp parts or so where screen area is against at, if you find a sharp plastic piece sticking out then thats explains why your screen was cracked the next morning since that piece have been pushing towards the screen all night and then screen gave up and became cracked.

One time poster
helilessons

Vrita,

The plastic guides I'm referring to are those which keep the phone from falling forwards (as shown in the picture below).

As you might just be able to see from the photo, the crack has started at the point where, in this position, the pressure can get very high.

sony_DK26_issue.jpg

Jake, the fact that it has never happened to you doesn't mean it can't happen.  It hadn't happened to me either until a couple of days ago.  There is nothing sharp on the plastic - I think that the problem lies in the fact that the moulding itself can present a 'sharp' piece of plastic which can press in a small area when the phone is being inserted.

The fact that it happened to me means that it is worth others taking care.

One time poster
helilessons

As an update to this discussion, I have found that removing the spring-loaded pressure pads from the dock makes it much easy to insert the phone and in my opinion will probably help to prevent some screens from cracking.

Anyone wanting try this (with all the usual caveats about invalidating warranties, etc.) can remove the three screws at the bottom of the device, run a nail between the two halves of the moulding to split them apart, and simply remove the two springs and two plastic pads.  They are very easy to put back if you want to.  Here is a picture:

sony_DK26_pressure_pads.jpg

Visitor
Vritra

Thanks for showing us helilessons,

however I wonder if your DK26 is different from mine here. I double checked this and my DK26 has absolutely no contact with the phone's screen here. In no position! Only the plastic frame has contact so my XZ's screen could not be cracked this way.

If you are completely sure that this can be the only reason why your phone's screen cracked I would advise you to contact Sony support for having your screen repaired for free, since I agree with you: This must not happen.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I agree with Vritra perhaps you have a defective Dock

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
DonMC

I did the mod to the dock. Thanks for the tip. The phone is now easier to put in. I even went as far as filling the insides of the dock with play dough ("borrowed" some from my daughter) to give it a little more weight. Now I can lift the phone out of the dock without the dock sticking to the phone and following the phone up in the air.

Just take care not to put too much dough or otherwise the springy mechanism for the carging contacts will seize up.

Another method would be gluing the entire dock to a heavy bottom plate of some sorts.

I also added small rubber feet to the underside. The ones that are preinstalled are way too tiny.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

@DonMC I wonder if you pulled or pushed the phone while it was on the Dock and that add extra pressure to the screen to crack it

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
DonMC

My screen hasn't cracked. I just commented on the slightly off-topic tip regarding the dock and added a tip of my own.