Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
Pleco

64 GB SDXC Card Disconnects...

I've been using my SanDisk SDXC 64 GB Ultra Class 10 that I previously used in my HTC Sensation for three days now, and it's been a major headache. I get the message "SD card unexpectedly removed" all the time (or something else/nothing), particulary when i transfer files (always) or go into folders with lots of files. It can also disconnect when I'm listening to music or looking at pictures.

My 32 GB SDHC seems to be working fine thus far, so I guess I can rule out hardware issues.

Does anybody here have a 64 GB SHXC that works with their phone? Could it be a SanDisk vs. Xperia Z issue?

Genius
GeoffH

Re: 64 GB SDXC Card Disconnects...

did you format it in the EZ prior to using - I know not what you want - easier to leave all those music files and stuff on there but probably needs to be done to cover all bases, others are using the same card without issue and I'm looking at buying one

One time poster
rschmidiger

Hallo

I have the same issue here. I formatted my 64 GB SDXC card with the XZ and the card is full with 60 GB of my music files.
From time to time the card disconnects unexpected, remount it and does a repair. While doing this, my XZ is hanging arround and no longer response to interactions or reboots automatically.

As well with the newest update 10.1.A.1.434, the behaviour is the same.

People reporting the card is working have not used the full storage on the card, so I assume it's an internal buffer for the FAT who is overflowing... While my card had not 60 GB used, it was working well.

One time poster
Pleco

I have formatted it 4-5 times just to test... It failed even when it was empty and I transferred "just" 5 gb of music to it, so I'm not sure if its the FAT limit for me. Such an annoying problem. My 32 card is full already, and I couldn't even fit al my music on there! But at least it works.

GeoffH: I've let the phone format it two times (exFAT) and I've formatted it manually with a tool to FAT32. It still disconnects/unmounts randomly. What I want is obviously to be able to use it without it disconnecting.

Genius
GeoffH

well I hope it's an issue with that particular SD - I just ordered one, was going to go for the 32gb but then for an extra 10 bucks and double the size - hope I don't have the same problems

PS Just thought of this - is it possible to partition an SD card ? if so might be an idea to create 2x 32gb P's and see if that works

Sony stated that the EZ only supports up to 32gb but the general hardware in phones the last 2 years have supported 64gb so it would be an reasonable to assume EZ does too being a state of the art 2013 flagship phone, anyway I have one coming so will let you know how it goes - should have it next week

One time poster
beavc

I have been having the same problem as well. It's frustrating and I have already formated the card twice. Do keep us posted if the 32GB works better. May have to take the drastic step of using a smaller card.

One time poster
Pleco

32 GB card has worked perfectly so far. It would've disconnected 1000 times by now if it was the 64 GB one.

One time poster
Pleco

I tried the infamous "tape" method to make the card thicker so it would touch the contact area better, yes the SanDisk is a bit thinner than other brands, but it still failed after being taped. I was scared I wouldn't get it back out, it was really snug in there, so it should definitely have been "thick" enough at that point, but alas. Really dislike having only 2 gb left on internal memory since my 32 GB card is already full.

One time poster
beavc

I tried...almost got the damn card jammed inside...

The 32Gb card ran perfectly no matter how I "tortured" it. I put my old card back and "flipped" through my album and it disconnect. No issue with the 32Gb though. I guess it boils down to the memory management issue?

Anybody got a solution for 64 let me know. I am seriously thinking of getting a slower SD 64GB to try though i don't think it's gonna help.

One time poster
Nick89

I don't think that it's possible to use an SD card with multiple partitions (or other partitions than FAT32, like ext2 for example) if you're using stock firmware.

I'd love to hear how it goes with your 64GB microSDXC card (and which brand you used), because I was planning to order one too.

If this really is a software issue, I hope Sony will fix this in their next update (even though 64GB microSDs are not officialy supported).