Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Xperia X8 with Android 2.2 and above?

Hi,

I own the amazing K750i, still in love with the phone but planning to upgrade to a many-in-one device.

I don't want to carry a music player, GPS, camera, FM radio and phone as separate devices and I found X8 as one of the few phones which looks good as well as have all the mentioned functions available for a reasonable rate. (I read others are kind of hyped, tying to keep up with the selling price of iPhone).

K750i was good because I could customize it a lot.

But Alas!! Android 1.6 for Xperia X8?

Questions:

1. Is upgrade possible to Android 2.2 (Froyo) or above? (2.1 is still not good as I cannot move apps to SD card)

(For K750i I got 2 firmware updates at least!!)

2. Can multiple playlists be created for the music you have on the phone? (I hear music from around 6 different languages)

3. Is there a limit on the number of applications that can be installed? (Other that internal memory (128MB) which 2.2 or above can solve)

4. Will there be a X8 Pro or something of that sort soon for a slightly higher price tag? (Possibly a black model with 2.2 and a camera flash +)

(I know this cannot be answered now, but out of curiosity...)

5. With there be more talk time and standby time with Android 2.1 and above?

Regards,

Winny

Message was edited by: wizwin - Added Q5

Demigod
Er.Kannan

Re: Xperia X8 with Android 2.2 and above?

1. Is upgrade possible to Android 2.2 (Froyo) or above? (2.1 is still not good as I cannot move apps to SD card)

(For K750i I got 2 firmware updates at least!)

Upgrade is possible but currently SE is planning to update to 2.1. There is no news of an upgrade to 2.2 yet.

2. Can multiple playlists be created for the music you have on the phone? (I hear music from around 6 different languages)

That entirely depends on the software that SE provides.

3. Is there a limit on the number of applications that can be installed? (Other that internal memory (128MB) which 2.2 or above can solve)

Android 2.1 do not have the capability of installing applications to SD card. 2.2 do have it but there is no news of an upgrade yet.

4. Will there be a X8 Pro or something of that sort soon for a slightly higher price tag? (Possibly a black model with 2.2 and a camera flash +)

(I know this cannot be answered now, but out of curiosity...)

Maybe they will release a new model, perhaps for the entire Xperia family. For that, we have to wait and see.

5. With there be more talk time and standby time with Android 2.1 and above?

Effective task management in Android 2.1 and above can improve battery life.

Don't forget to give Kudos and / or mark the correct answer

Anonymous(anon)

Kannan... Thank you for the quick reply!

I wish they port whatever they are doing for Android 2.1 to 2.2 and release 2.2 instead and start working on Gingerbread. I know I sound too easy!! :smileysilly:

As we all know Gingerbread will be out soon!

Regards,

Winny

Demigod
Er.Kannan

Upgrading is not that easy. SE has to look into many matters before releasing an upgrade. There are many legal procedures to be followed, compatibility issues, and many other things. So wait patiently. They may release the 2.2 upgrade in near future.

Don't forget to give Kudos and / or mark the correct answer

Anonymous(anon)

Guess what? LG Optimus One/ Maximo One/ P500 has 2.2 :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Now i have android 2.1 on my x8,,but i didn't found not much(or drastic) of a difference in 1.6 and 2.1,,the group functionality is still missing,Cannot send messages to multiple ppl,can't move apps to SD card,Can't create playlists in music(Though now at least can send music files via blue tooth),,So,M really hoping and expecting sony to come up with much improved android OS,,,,I BELIEVE IN SONY COZ SONY BELIEVES IN QUALITY,,

Oracle
suze

imsahilshah wrote:

Now i have android 2.1 on my x8,,but i didn't found not much(or drastic) of a difference in 1.6 and 2.1,,the group functionality is still missing,Cannot send messages to multiple ppl,can't move apps to SD card,Can't create playlists in music(Though now at least can send music files via blue tooth),,So,M really hoping and expecting sony to come up with much improved android OS,,,,I BELIEVE IN SONY COZ SONY BELIEVES IN QUALITY,

You can send multiple texts, just add your first recipient then press Menu and you will be given the option to add recipients, keep going with this til you have as many as you want.  On the other hand if you have access to the android market there is a very nice app called Handcent SMS which lets you set the recipients by a simple tick box list of your contacts.

Apps to SD comes with Android 2.2 and there has been no information as to whether the phones will be receiving this upgrade.

On the playlist front, I believe you can create them on Media Go and then import them to your phone or again if you have access to the Android market you can try Zimly or Mixzing which I understand allow you to do this.

Hope some of this helps.

Anonymous(anon)

Now that we have Eclair 2.1 we can install many apps that we couldn't use before ( that's the only reason I was waiting it for, besides multitoch but this is not what we have to discuss now ).

As you said Gingerbread 2.3 is going to be released soon, so why would you want 2.2 that is an old OS ??

I'ld say that SE behaved good because thay said they would give us 2.1 and they did.

They can work ( if they think it's a good thing to do ) on other things, as they are doing finding out a good multitouch software on X10 ( please implement it also on X8 :smileyhappy: ) and release minor updates to add thease implementations.

For the big update the best thing to do is to wait and rest until Google releases Gingerbread 2.3 & work hard on that.

Fu** 2.2, be patient and wait 2.3 !!!

P.S.: I wish to offend anybody with the last line :smileyhappy:.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks,that was a very useful information indeed,,,Still,we can add multiple recipients,but we have to add one by one,we cannot mark and add,,and Handcent is a gud app,but I still feel,,For basic apps like messaging ,music,videos,contacts,,They should be fully and easily functionable,,They shouldn't rely on third party apps,,and talking about memory,,It is useless that u have more than 100000 f apps to choose from,,but you have no space,so u cannot install them,,Thats y,,moving f apps to SD card is perhaps the most important issue which SE needs to solve.

Anonymous(anon)

Hello Xperia Engineers:smileyhappy:,

Please provide android 2.2 upgrade atleast...so that we will able to install more application.:smileytongue:

Take some time ....but please provide ETA for this very neccessary Update...

I like Xperia X8...its works gr8...but internal memory is not enough to install usefull application.

So, Its Request to provide update so that we can install more application.

Thanx in advance...:smileylove: