Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly
Accepted Solution

The real reason X8, x10 mini/pro, w8 won't get an update? will the 2011 Xperias have the same fate?

The minimum requirements for Android 2.3 Gingerbread are

MUST have at least 128MB of memory available to the kernel and userspace. The 128MB MUST be in addition to any memory

dedicated to hardware components such as radio, memory, and so on that is not under the kernel's control.

Device implementations MUST have at least 150MB of non-volatile storage available for user data. That is, the /data partition MUST be at least

150MB

SHOULD have at least 1GB of non-volatile storage available for user data

there is no CPU/GPU minimum requirements

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/source.android.com/en/us/compati...

I wish I could copy paste the OFFICIAL reason by SE but for some misterious reason those posts are gone, like this

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/03/25/update-on-xperia%E2%84%A2-x10/

I think Xperia Users deserve a better reason on to why their phones aren't receiving any future updates and NO it's not due to hardware limitations

Anonymous(anon)

Re: The real reason X8, x10 mini/pro, w8 won't get an update?

Yes i agree,i think 2.2 wont be much of an issue for these phones,we read blogs,

Reviews check out specs on youtube, if 2.2 is possible on other brands with almost same specs as these phones,then why the hell cant these xperia phones? This is nothing but just BS on SE DEV's part man,

Anonymous(anon)

may be this link http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/06/20/update-on-gingerbread-for-xperia%e2%84%a2-x10/

they write

For XperiaTM X10 mini, mini pro and X8 there are as communicated earlier no plans to update beyond the current Éclair version. There are two mains reasons for this: The XperiaTM X10 mini, X10 mini pro and X8 all have less RAM memory than XperiaTM X10. By this we can’t guarantee a good user experience by upgrading beyond Android 2.1.

but it is written uliwooly-wooly . we have enough memory to run 2.2 ор 2.3 and alternative firmware work on 2.2 and 2.3

and a little more

written on the page

The upgrade of XperiaTM X10 also was made possible due to that we had a code base that mostly could be reused. For the mini’s, who have a different user interface, this possibility did not exist.

conclusion:

Sony Ericsson are too lazy to write new code or they have little money to pay for work of a programmer. but this is my opinion

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

they should at least release a "vanilla 2.3.4" w/o SE UIX

Anonymous(anon)

I fully agree with you, guys. So disappointed by SE attitude, compared to another brands, when speaking about updates. As I remember from their very old blogs, firstly they did not plan to update even big X10 beyond 2.1. Sooo many strong complaints they received after this statement was published. Probably they realized that it was really shame not to upgrade their flagship with the only reason like "we need to prioritize our resources", which meant in another words "F**k you, dear customers, who gave us the biggest money. Thank you very much for your purchase, but we won't spend a penny for your satisfaction and future loyality." Then suddenly they woke up, started thinking a bit and promised the update release, but still acting like doing a big favour to their customers with their words similar to "We are listening to people's voice, so we found a solution how to do that in the end."

And as we, X10 mini owners, were still begging for update and bothering them by our complaints, they needed to find another bulletproof reason - hardware limitations (although nobody till now understands why, as e.g.HTC Wildfire with almost same specs got the update to 2.2 without hesitation). By ending up with X10 mini with only 2.1 they saved money on their customers, while indirectly pushing X10 mini owners into buying new 2011 models, if they wanted new features of 2.3.

However, it is strange, but I do not think that SE lost too many customers with this behaviour in the end. I think that a lot of people still like SE phones the best, as a kind of tradition. They have been satisfied in the past with their very intuitive and high-quality non-smart phones, full of features already at that time. They have been very satisfied even with X10 mini, except of missing update. So now they hope again and wait. Meanwhile they compare with HTC, Samnsung, etc. But SE is very good in their new offers - variety of quality phones full of features and technologies again, even for good price. As I can say for myself - it is quite hard not to buy SE again, even after previous disappointmend. After rooting my X10 mini, trying several custom ROMs with 2.3 (still with some bugs and missing some features of 2.3), I bought brand new Neo for 200 EUR and sold X10 mini for 100 EUR, which was not that bad deal at all.

Now I already know how SE updates are late, etc., so I know what I am going into and what I can expect and what I cannot expect.

Anyway, with latest update I got (2.3.4) I feel like my phone is not missing anything at all, so I am even not interested in any future updates so much.

Camera panorama and zoom is included (I was always wandering, why my old SE K770i could have that, but newest smartphonoes cound not - but now I finally have). App2SD works nicely, Adobe Flash is also great (it is hard to believe that even newest iPhone 4S does not provide it for unbelievable 600 EUR), wi-fi tether is nice. DLNA I might use in the future, maybe not. HDMI I only tried several times, but will probably be using really occasionally, as well as the front-facing camera. Anyway, it is nice to have them there. With the pictures quality I am satisfied. Well built up, fitting into hand even with one hand control, hardware buttons I appreciate a lot as well.

Even when I feel now like missing the sense of principles from previous disappointment of SE behaviour, I simply could not resist to buy full-featured SE again for that nice price.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

up

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

up

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/125977#125977

Aimee-SEAnswersModerators

1,015 posts since
Sep 20, 2010

Hi,

Here is the information I have been provided regarding this:

"The XperiaTM X10 mini, X10 mini pro and X8 all have less RAM memory than XperiaTM X10. By this we can't guarantee a good user experience. The upgrade of XperiaTM X10 also was made possible due to that we had a code base that mostly could be reused. For the mini's, who have a different user interface, this possibility did not exist."

There was also another statement made online which I'm currently unable to locate however the above information is what was stated on the matter.

but there are a LOT of phones with same or less RAM than the X10 mini, X10 mini pro, X8, W8 and they have 2.3.+

so the RAM it is NOT the issue

Trustee
Aimee

The official statement does mention the RAM but it also mentions the following reason:

The upgrade of XperiaTM X10 also was made possible due to that we had a code base that mostly could be reused. For the mini’s, who have a different user interface, this possibility did not exist.

I am only able to provide you with the same information I have been provided with myself.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

how about an update for this phones but w/o sony ericsson's UIX? lets face it, SE's UIX it's quite heavy, but if you remove it, and release an "OPTIONAL" update 2.3.+ to this phones knowing that they wouldn't have the whole SE UIX experience a LOT of users will be happy and a vast majority have been Sony Ericsson's fans for many many years