Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

how to download market for xperia x10

hi...

i've just updated my sony ericsson Xperia x10 to Andriod 2.1...but the menu option for MARKET is not there...

can anybody help in getting that..

thanks..

Oracle
suze

Re: how to download market for xperia x10

The Android Market is not available in all locations so my first question is where did you get the phone?  Did you have the market on 1.6 or where you hoping that the update would give you market access?

Anonymous(anon)

bought an old one from a friend of mine... but he also doesnt know any thing about it... i've taken from him and just upgraded without noticing anything... now i cant find the market in the menu option...please help..

Oracle
suze

I wonder if the phone originated from a country that does not allow the Market, for example certain Middle Eastern countries don't. 

You can use www.getjar.com or slideme.org to get applications to your phone.  If you search them from the phone browser and download their phone app you can use it in a similar way to the Android market altho the selection is nowhere near as extensive.

The only other thing you can do as the phone is second hand and therefore without a warranty (they only apply if you have purchased the phone new, have the original receipt and are residing in the country of purchase) is to root your phone and install a generic software for somewhere like the UK for example which has market access.  This forum is not the place for this kind of information or support but it may be worth you taking yourself over to XDA developers or Android Forums both of which have extensive information on rooting your phone and changing the 'location' programmed into the phone.

It is how lots of people got the 2.1 update when first released... they all became 'Norwegian' over night! Anyway, make sure you gather all the information you need before undertaking any changes to your phone and bear in mind that if it goes wrong you are without SE support.

Anonymous(anon)

You should be able to get it from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897283&highlight=market+app

Click the NewMarket.zip link, download to your PC and unzip it to get the .apk file

Make sure your phone is set up to accept unknown sources

Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources.

If you have a file manager on your phone such as es File Explorer or similar then do the below

Connect your phone to your PC and mount the SD Card, copy the .apk file to your SD Card Download folder

Disconnect the phone, open you file manager go to teh downloads folder and tap the apk file and it will install

If you don't have a file manager download this

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php

Install on your PC, once installed connect your phone via USB but DO NOT mount the SD Card, you must have USB Debugging enabled

Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging

Once you PC Connects to your phone clikc on File then Applications (if it has worked you will get a list of all apps)

Click on the top app then on the top bar there are 2 Java icons click the lef hand one next to the deletw X this is the install option

Find the apk file on your PC and select it, then on your phone tap install

If neither of these work flash your phone to a new version of software here as its second hand there isn;t a warranty to worry about

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=683793

You may want to do this from the begining but make sure you understand the process

Anonymous(anon)

my phone is old but the guaranty and warranty is still there (almost for 7-8 months)...should i follow the mentioned steps or should I give it to the shop from where it has been bought...

Anonymous(anon)

It depends on the country you are in, some countries do not allow the market app so they wont do anything for you but you can always ask.

If they do it, your problem is solved if they wont then its up to you depends on how much you want to keep the warranty.