Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

WiFi says scanning, then says disconnected. What's wrong?

I just bought th X10 today, and the WiFi isn't working. In Wireless controls, the WiFi setting is on, and says scanning, then immediatley says disconnected. The WiFi settings shows my network (and after I typed in my router's password, it says remembered, secured). How can I get my WiFi connection to work from my phone?

PS I still have Android 1.6 (and haven't upgraded because the vendor said to let my battery run down before I charge the phone for the first time so the battery will remember the right amount to charge; but if I connect the X10 to my PC to upgrade Android, the battery will charge. So I've been trying to drain my battery quicker - I've been taking videos and playing them, but the battery still isn't low yet!) I won't yet use my 3G because if I decide to return the phone, I want a refund for the data plan...so all I did was just the initial setup of my Account with my google account)

Anonymous(anon)

Re: WiFi says scanning, then says disconnected. What's wrong?

what security settings do you have on your home network - WPA/WPA2 or WEP?

To determine if it's a phone or router/user error have you tried switching off the router's security and seeing if you can connect?

If it still won't connect, do you have any router settings you have changed such as blocking unknown devices?

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks so much for your suggestions. It turns out that this morning, I turned the X10 on, checked the WiFi status & it was blank (no longer said disconnected), and when I tried opening the web browser, it works for the first time. Maybe turning the phone off overnight helped. That's mysterious tho' because I had turned it off before, and I had tried the WiFi connection many times and got the scanning for a few seconds only to be followed by disconnected.

Anyways as a first time user of this board, and less-than-24-hour owner of this phone, I thank you.

BTW I do have WPA2-PSK protection on my router.

Anonymous(anon)

as long as wi-fi works I'm happy - trouble shooting any wireless network problem is always a pain.

I'm sure wireless is powered by witchcraft.

Glad everything is working for you - now it is all OK, can you not give your phone a fixed IP on your home network? That way it should connect quicker

Anonymous(anon)

Drat. It turns out I still have a problem with my phone connecting to my WiFi (I was using my 3G not my Wifi when I thought it was fixed). I took off the security setting on my router, and the phone still did the same thing: Scanning...then disconnected. I went to a coffee shop and the phone connected fine to that WiFi. So is the problem my router? What's weird is my  my ipod touch 4  had no problems connecting to my home router's Wifi.

PS I don't know much about routers: what settings to change, or if and how to make my phone use a fixed setting.

One time poster
an2ny79

What is you router brand and model?

Try changing the Wireless NETWORK MODE to B-G Mixed (if there's any).

Check for MAC filtering (Usually under Wireless security), disable it if it's enabled.

Disable any Wireless Security (make sure to enable this after identifying the cause)

or...

To make it simple.. save the current configuration first (under Maintenance), just in case you want to restore it back later.

Reset your router

Run the Internet Wizard as well as WIFI Wizard.

One time poster
an2ny79

Another thing.. check the Maximum number of users under DHCP settings...  It could be that Router ran out of IP to provide

Demigod
sushidushi

I have had all sorts of problems connecting my phone (and laptop) to the wifi at home, but on advice from D-Link, the manufacturers of the wifi box of tricks, we yesterday changed the channel and it seems much better so far.  That said, it was sometimes all right before, so I am not counting my chickens just yet.  Apparently, the reason a change of channel might help is that the router might have been getting interference from other routers in the area.  That might be worth a try at least...

One time poster
an2ny79

Yes that could help too...  Some devices which use radiowave interfere with other.. So you need to find a good channel for your router.

Demigod
sushidushi

I think I spoke a bit soon for mine.  I just came back home and got the 'disconnected' message, but I resolved it by pulling the plug out of the router and putting it back in again.  The phone and computer then connected.  The computer said something about resetting network adapter.  Does that mean the router, do you know...?