Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

It's Official: Xperia X10 will not be supported past 2.1

Thanks SE...

http://twitter.com/#!/SonyEricssonUK

Between that and AT&T, I'm highly tempted to just take the phone back and start over with something else.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: It's Official: Xperia X10 will not be supported past 2.1

If true then could be linked to the new Xperia arc

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/01/

Guess it is then

http://www.xperiax10.net/2011/01/06/official-xperia-x10-family-will-not-receive-upgrade-to-froyo-or-...

Just glad i'm not locked to it you will only get 2.2 or 2.3 even by debranding and flashing the phone

Message was edited by: ag4751

Anonymous(anon)

Thats it had enough waiting on 2.2 for the X10.

Whats the best way of flashing the phone to install 2.2 - is it thru XDA?

Does this allow for Flash Player?

Is it reversable if it goes wrong.

SE suck BIG TIME!!

Anonymous(anon)

If you want to do that check you PM

Anonymous(anon)

It would appear its not just the x10 then so there will be unhappy x10, x10 mini, x10 mini pro and x8 users as well extract from web below

http://se-xperia.com/xperiax10-range-wont-be-update-past-android-2-1/

Despite all the uproar about Sony Ericsson’s flagship Xperia handset having an outdated OS when it launched with Android 1.6 and when the company released Android 2.1, when 2.3 was just around the corner, the company have announced that they

will not update the Xperia X10, X10 Mini, X10 Mini Pro, or Xperia X8 past Android 2.1.

Sony Ericsson have already come under fire for the delay of Android 2.1 on the handset and several petitions were started online asking Sony Ericsson to skip Android 2.1 and go straight to 2.2. This wasn’t to happen though, as 2.2 aka Froyo, will not be making it’s way to the Xperia X10 range of handsets. For the US particularly, this has given the handset a minimal lifespan, consisting of less than 6 months. Unfortunately, Sony Ericsson don’t see it this way. They have promised further minor updates to the handset, such as the multi touch update, coming sometime this quarter but, the Android version will not be going any higher.

When questioned via Twitter, Sony Ericsson UK replied with that they believed Android 2.1 was adequate for the X10 range. As a general statement across Twitter, they stated “We believe the features included in the Android 2.1 phone are on par with, and in many cases better than, a vanilla installation of 2.2″. A direct reply to a user message consisted of essentially the same statement “We believe the version of Android 2.1 which we have implemented on the X10 is suitable for the hardware of these particular models”. This of course means, that the Xperia X10 will not gain flash support and despite minor updates in the future, this announcement will have effectively ended the life span of the X10, not to mention the imminent release of the Xperia Arc, which will come with Android 2.3 when released.

Anonymous(anon)

Known bugs:
- camera is NOT implemented yet (WIP)
- USB Mass Storage doesn't work (use xRecovery workaround) (WIP)
- software video playback (HD videos may not play at full rate)
- random crashes

Requirements:
1. Rooted 2.1 ROM
2. working xRecovery

Installation:
1. Flash the zip package via xRecovery
2. After the first boot, flash (if required) Google Apps via xRecovery

Changelog:
5/01/2011 beta1 - first beta release

Credits:
Android team, CM Crew, Jerpelea, everybody else involved. Too many to mention! Cheers!

Lightyear would like to thank zdzihu for the custom ROM!!!

you'll need to do a little work to your phone....

if you are using AT&T, then this becomes a little more difficult, too, since you can't install apps not found on the official market.

You'll need to have your phone rooted...I recommend flashing to 2.1 to do this....it's just easier, IMO.  Flashing to generic SE 2.1 will allow you to install apps so you can root your phone easily. - http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/40856#40856

Hopefully these are already all set and you can skip to these next steps:

Install xRecovery installation app - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=859571

Run xRecovery by restarting the phone and clicking any button repeatedly while the white sont ericcsson text is displayed (the first graphic you see)

Flash this rom to your phone with xrecovery - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=900441

One time poster
Gosx10i

So, if they're not going to suppost these handsets past 2.1, where does that leave all the owners who are signed up to a 24 month contract?

If this is the case then surely someone somewhere needs to take responsability whether it be the network operator or the manufacturer.

It woul dseem that for something that cost more than a TV set, it has a very short lifspan and i know that in the UK, that eletronics must last upto 5 years, for all they tell you you only get 12 months warranty, which is actually wrong under the terms of goods act etc.

Anonymous(anon)

your only option to update android firmware (like I described above) will result in voiding your warranty :smileysad:

Luckily, the guys at XDA developers are hard at work to bring us 2.2 and 2.3.  Froyo (2.2)is already available, but it's unstabile and lacks a camera still.....gingerbread (2.3) is in the works and we can expect a release later this year, I would imagine :smileyhappy:

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Sad really sad, one thing I find insulting is the way they say it as if we are dumb.

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/01/06/next-step-%E2%80%93-xperia%E2%84%A2-arc/comment-pa...

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/01/06/next-step-%e2%80%93-xperia%e2%84%a2-arc/comment-pa...

by Rikard Skogberg says:

Hi all,
First – As a clarification regarding the current Xperia products – We are planning another upgrade to bring new features (such as for example multi-touch for Xperia X10) to the current family of Xperia™ smartphones in Q1 2011. However, at this stage those plans do not include updating the underlying Android version.
This decision is based on that we believe that with the current hardware platform an overhaul of the underlying core OS wouldn’t drastically improve the user experience.
We believe that the current Xperia range on Android 2.1 coupled with our proprietary upgrades and unique hardware delivers a user experience that is on par with, and in many cases better than, a vanilla installation of Android 2.2.

Our priority right now is to keep enhancing the user experience of the existing products through coming updates and to deliver a fantastic range of smartphones in 2011 that are all on the latest possible version of Android – that is a target we are determined to hit!

Then to some Xperia arc questions and facts:
As I’ve understood it it has a MSM7230 shipset with a 1GHz QSD8255 CPU and Adreno 205 GPU (I will double confirm and get back!), i.e. a step-up compared to our earlier products which together with the increased performance of Gingerbread brings a great performance improvement.
No it does not have a front facing camera.
Yes – the music player has an equalizer, I will show it more in coming videos.
Regarding 802.11n – I don’t know but will try to find out!
Yes one big difference is that Mediascape is replaced by a very nice widget based “Media-pane” using the standard Gingerbread Gallery for Photos. I will show it more in upcoming videos!
Timescape is greatly improved and now more interactive in its widget. You actually scroll the tiles directly in the widget and don’t have to enter the application.
Regarding memory I have asked to get final confirmation on exactly how big the different memory allocations are but as I understood it from earlier discussions memory allocation in Android isn’t as straight forward as to just give a number on. Different manufacturers use different type of numbers in their specs communication. Amount of total “RAM” in my sample according to some benchmarking apps and the inbuilt system info seems to be around 313 MB and the amount of storage memory for applications seems to be around 380 MB. (Important to remember that my sample still has early SW so don’t take these numbers as facts!) Then again many apps are now possible to install on the included SD-card to save phone space.
Regarding request for videos showing different features, keep em coming and I will add them to my to-do list. Not all things are ready to show just yet though so some features my take a while before I can show fully.
Junaid, Stu and other having issues with the spam-filter,
Sorry, I assure your it’s nothing intentional! Nowadays we have also the comments section set up for caching so if you don’t get an error- or pending-message but still don’t see your comment right away it might be because of the caching procedures taking some time.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

ohh, Official I see, supposed like multitouch?? I don't believe that, even at sonyericsson it is demonstrated people know nothing about future but little technical group will know well about Android world. Just take the very old HTC G1 with half processor and half memory compared with x10 preparing to get 2.3 and just using the "old" froyo.