Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)
Accepted Solution

How to logout from Gmail?

Hi All,

I have logged in Gmail in my phone when I bought it. Since then it is logged in. It is like my gmail can be accessed by anyone who has my mobile and mails downloaded can be viewed/opened offline.
But I do not know "how to logout from my gmail account".

Thanks

Oracle
suze

Re: How to logout from Gmail?

There isn't a function to log out of Gmail as far I know because the phone is an Android Phone and Android is Google, the phone uses your gmail account as the lynch pin to many of the functions for example the android market for apps.

You can force it to log out by clearing data and cache in one or more of the google apps in Manage Applications but this seems to be a very blunt tool to achieve the result you are looking for.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi SUze..

I cleared the cache of few applications like "gmail", "gmail storage". After that when I tried to open the "gmail" app, I get the screen saying "Waiting for sync" and "Your email will appear shortly". But it never comes.

Please help.

Oracle
suze

I think the trouble is that the phones are designed to stay logged on to your google account so I am guessing that you have to clear the data/cache from all the google type accounts on the phone not just gmail ones.

I guess if all else fails you will have to do a reset/repair and take it that if you have a gmail account logged on to the phone for email then it will be accessible to whoever should get their hands on the phone.

I suppose you could try a third party app that may have different security measures for email altho I haven't come across that option in K-9 which is what I use.

Anonymous(anon)

What happens if you login to gmail using your internet browser? Then you should be able to also logout.

Anonymous(anon)

By web I can easily log in to gmail.

Issue exists only in the gmail app installed by default.

Anonymous(anon)

So either there is a bug or as stated in an earlier post, the phone is designed to stay logged in... If so I would delete the app. After all it must be possible for the user to decide about login/logout.

Anonymous(anon)

So I can log in to gmail using web browser.

CLeared cache from all google apps, prob still persists.

Note: G-talk work fine. So the issue is only in gmail app.

Can we reinstall/repair this app alone?

Thanks

Anonymous(anon)

The app builder can rewrite the app.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks Suze..as you said clearing cache from google apps worked finally (though it had few issues and tweaking trial-and-error kinda things required) but it worked.

Actually, once you login to any of google app (eg market), phone will work for that account only (as I feel). Hence when I tried to go to Market after clearing cache, it asked for google account info. (so you can change the log-in).

Synchronize the gmail to remove the error that I got previously (while opening gmail).

Exploring 2.1 now :smileytongue: