Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

How to delete words that predictive text has learnt itself on X10 mini?

I've noticed my phone has learnt certain words itself (rather than me inputting them). For instance, if I've been on to www.sonyericsson.com using my X10 mini, then the phone has now stored sonyericsson as a word. When I type a text message with "Quick Text" on, it now suggests sonyericsson as a word when I type "son...". I would like to delete this, but cannot find a way.

Please note I am not talking about words I have taught the phone, which can be deleted using Settings>Language & Keyboard>User dictionary, as the words do not appear in there if the phone learnt them itself? I am on Android 2.1 (not 1.6, nor sadly 2.2)...

Trustee
Josh

Re: How to delete words that predictive text has learnt itself on X10 mini?

This cannot be done as every Keyboard has its own settings and words. Only those under User Dictionary can be deleted.

Anonymous(anon)

This is bad since:

If I mis-spell the word a couple of times, it is learnt and cannot be deleted or amended

It "learns" which websites you visit and reveals your web history to anyone whom borrows the phone and types similar words

If I go on a website more often than I type a word, the website is suggested within text messages as the most likely word you might want which is annoying...

Could this be addressed in a future update?

Forum Legend
uliwooly

you could if you do a Settings reset

Settings -> privacy -> settings reset

but of course you will delete other settings

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

Any ideas what other settings will go? Will I lose apps/contacts/text messages/downloads/pics etc?

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Anything that its stored on your SD card will be fine. Settings, apps, contacts (you should sync with google), bookmarks, mms/sms. You should donwload Save MMS to back up you mms files and backup & restore sms the as for the rest use the backup and restore app

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
uliwooly

To sync your contacts with google. open your phonebook press MENU button -> tap on Send Contacts -> select all -> send it to your email on your computer -> download the file -> go to your gmail -> click on contacts -> click on more actions -> on the drop down menu click on "import" -> choose the file -> and click import

Anonymous(anon)

It has taken me a few days to sort this one out, but I have found the answer:

Go into Settings:

Locale & Text:

Default Input:

Dictionary

and then you should find the words it has made all by itself - the one I'm looking for that the android has made by itself is not there, but I'm just going to be a bit more vigilant, and when it's time for my upgrade, I'll go for the Xperia that is one step up from the Mini, that has the keyboard, cos I've got very cushiony fingertips (hence, probably, my problem), and then it should all be sorted!

Good luck!

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks a great help. Wonder if this is a new feature since I posted originally? Anyway thanks for pointing it out!

Slightly different for me as I have to go Settings>Language & Keyboard...