Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Adept
Soony

Why does charging cradle charge so slowly?

My cradle charges the tablet very slowly, even when I have no apps open and screen off.  And why does the charging cradle sometimes just stop charging even though tablet is not fully charged, even when tablet is powered off over night?  Thanks for any info

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: Why does charging cradle charge so slowly?

if you turn off your wifi/data plan it will charge faster, also if you receive an email the notification LED will start flashing but the tablet will continue to charge. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adept
Soony

Thanks for your comment.  What do you mean by "turn off your wifi/data plan"?  I am going to try setting the tablet on Stamina Mode in the Power Management tab.  Is that what you have in mind?  But why would any wifi setting interfere with complete charging if the tablet is powered off in its cradle?  Doesn't "off" mean "off"?  Regards, S

Forum Legend
uliwooly

if the wifi is on then some apps might upload/download data. this will slow down the charging process 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
fourire1

my tablet is on cradle since last night (10 hours) and I'm at 88%, I think I have a serious problem. wifi is closed

Adept
Soony

Yes Fourire1 is describing one of the same problems that I had. Tablet on cradle overnight and powered off yet next morning not fully charged. Additionally, on other mornings I find that the tablet miraculously had turned itself back on (and as far as I can figure out the Smart Connect is not programmed to turn on the tablet, but who knows since there is no comprehensive user guide).
Forum Legend
uliwooly

Does it take the same amount of time if you use the regular wall charger? 

Learner
Calle134

Do you us the right cable? I also have a sony Xperia Z and that cable is not the same as for Tablet Z. Charger is the same. Dont know IF it has to do with usb 2.0 and 3.0.
Adept
Soony

I use the original cable and converter supplied with the Xperia tablet z.  

I charge overnight in the cradle with the above described cable and converter.  After docking, I power off the tablet prior to charging, which presumably means no apps or wifi are running during charging. 

The big questions are why in the morning (1) sometimes it only charged to about 85% after eight hours and (2) sometimes the tablet apparently turned itself back on overnight.  

(Someone may reply to turn off a wake-up setting in Smart Connect, but as far as I can tell there is no such setting activated now or in the past.)

Enthusiast
tiptie

Have you upgraded to 4.4.2?  It may be just a coincidence, but I started having same charging issues with Sony supplied power and cable when I upgraded.  I could turn unit off and leave overnight.  The charge would not get above 90%.  Because I purchased Sony warrenty, I went to Sony store and explained the problem.

They had not heard of this issue "yet" on the upgrade.  So I asked for exchange.  They thought it might be battery issue.  They exhanged unit that still had 4.1 on it.  I ignored the upgrade notice icon and charging is now back to normal on this new unit. Fully 100% charge in a few hours.  So, was it a bad battery......of a strange fluke for 4,2?   

At this point, I am skittish about doing the upgrade until someone at Sony can confirm that some units with the upgrade exhibit this fluke.  Again, it may be a very bizarre coincidence.