Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

why cant i use mass storagee on my ps3 or linux box

why cant i use mass storagee on my ps3 or linux box, question as title really, brought device yesterday an seems sony left out a simple yet very usefull feature, huge internal memory yet useless as i can't access it, no bluetooth etc just cable, any help would be greatly appreciatted (linux box is on slackware if that helps)

Anonymous(anon)

Re: why cant i use mass storagee on my ps3 or linux box

you can, but its not seen as usb storage.

if you have ubuntu/debian linux you need to Install the mtpfs and mtp-tools packages - not sure what are the names of those in other distos.

After i install them the phone should be able to automount when plugged in (tested). Alternatively just install some kind of ftp server for your phone and transfer files over wifi - that the preferred method for me today - just bookmark ftp server in your file explorer for ease of use.

Anonymous(anon)

That does not work, unfortunately. The phone is detected (with or without those software) as "SEMC HUSB Device" in Ubuntus file manager, but when you try to copy files to/from the device you get the message "Error getting file: -6: Not Supported".

Anonymous(anon)

What ubuntu are you running? im using 12.04 beta and i can assure you it IS working for me.

Maybe theres a prbolem with libmtp in older ubuntu.

You can try upgrading to beta ( watch out - bugs ahead),

or as a workaround do as i did for convinience - download swiftp from market and transfer the files via wifi - you can add connection via nautilus - file -> connect to server.

Anonymous(anon)

I'm using 11.10. I'm not interested in upgrading to a beta of Ubuntu just to get such as basic feature working.

Anonymous(anon)

then use ftp server as a workaround, i dont have 11.10 computer i could use for tests to help you further with the issue, all i can say is that on 12.04 "it works for me"

Anonymous(anon)

Is a filesystem automatically mounted for you when you plug in your phone (i.e. what is output of df -h)? No filesystem is mounted for me, and mtp-detect shows:

libmtp version: 1.1.0

Listing raw device(s)

No raw devices found.

The filesystem that is shown in Nautilus appears to be something else than a proper mounted filesystem.

Anonymous(anon)

yeah i get same thing

libmtp version: 1.1.2

Listing raw device(s)

No raw devices found.

seems its using gvfsd-gphoto2 when im copying files to the sd - at least tahts what top is showing to me

Anonymous(anon)

How are you copying the files? Though Nautilus? How about mounted filesystems?

Anonymous(anon)

nautilus shows it explorable exactly same way as a mounted filesystem like pendrive or my old milestone that worked normally.

but i started using wifi, when i need to get something on/off phone  - no more cable plugging :-)