Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Xperia S's screen vs Galaxy nexus & Galaxy note which one is better?

Xperia SGalaxy NexusGalaxy Note

Screen

4.3in HD (720 x 1280) LCD

Reality Display

Bravia Engine

342PPI pixel density

Screen

4.65in HD (720 x 1280)

Super AMOLED

316PPIpixel density

Screen

5.3in HD (800 x 1280)

Super AMOLED

285PPI pixel density

GPU Adreno 220GPU PowerVR SGX540GPU Mali-400MP
Qualcomm MSM8260 snapdragonDual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9Dual-core 1.4 GHz ARM Cortex-A9

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/01/30/display-shootout-xperia-s-versus-the-galaxy-nexus-and-galaxy-no...

Xperia S's screen vs Galaxy nexus & Galaxy note which one is better?

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Re: Xperia S's screen vs Galaxy nexus & Galaxy note which one is better?

Obviously I am biased, but the pixel density on the Xperia S does it for me :smileyhappy:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

did you checked the pictures? there are HUGE differences and sadly the S's screen its quite bad viewed from an angle :smileysad:

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Interesting, I will wait till I see one in person to make a final judgment, however the viewing angle is not a huge problem to me personally as I tend to look directly at my handset :smileylaugh:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

to me it will be, it is on my Arc, specially when I leave it on my desk, I don't look at it directly or when I'm showing a something to friends. but yeah I want to see this pictures under direct sunlight, that's a HUGE issue here in sunny California

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

That’s odd, I also use an Arc as my primary phone and have full visibility with any angle, I have also check with a colleague’s handset and he is the same. How low do you have the brightness on your screen?

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I'd tried different %s and there's always this washed out colors when viewed from angles, I've tried other Arcs and its the same, maybe I'm too picky :smileysilly: but when I compared with other phones w/ AMOLED the difference its noticible

I agree that when I'm txting or reading and I don't want wondering eyes it could be convenient but people can still see/read but just with washed out colors

Anonymous(anon)

galaxy note screen look better and colors r much more believable ...

LCD is inferior to Super AMOLED :smileysad:

WinterStars

I agree that viewing angle is not that important.

But contrast ratio is definitely better on Super AMOLED especially non-Pentile Super AMOLED+ [RGB RGB].

Pentile Super AMOLED [RGBW] = Good Colour Saturation, Contrast ratio, and Brightness due to extra white pixel

non-Pentile Super AMOLED+ [RGB RGB] = Excellent Colour Saturation, Excellent Contrast ratio, but lesser brightness

Super AMOLED is more vibrant, has better colour contrast and saturation than ordinary TFT LCD .

Super Clear LCD, IPS LCDs etc are different from Sony's TFT LCD. They are more comparable to Super AMOLED.

But Super AMOLED +  is already present in Lots of Samsung devices like Galaxy S Plus etc and it is even better than Super AMOLED [Pentile RGBW/RGBG] and is brighter.

If you buy an Android device now Pixel Burn would happen long after we have moved to Android 5.0

Remains to be seen what Sony's White Magic display brings to the table, if it is just more brightness then it is pointless.

On the other hand Super AMOLED is more power efficient for most colours, has an integrated touch array besides the points above.

Anyway now Samsung owns both SLCD and SAMOLED, they bought out Sony's share in SLCD...

2011 xperia devices have LED backlit LCDs nothing special just the extra brightness.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

this is a CLEAR example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDUOvBxz-1Q

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)