Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Oracle
suze

Re: Xperia S in China and Google Play

You could have a look over at XDA to see if you can flash a firmware from a different region, or even a world generic one and see if that allows you to use the Google apps.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1518

Oracle
suze

I should add in my capacity as a Moderator that this is all 'non-official' and may void your warranty.  However I would further add without my Moderator hat on I have used Flashtool on my X10 on quite a few occasions and it was all very straightforward.  One of our big contributors here Uliwooly is an expert on doing this kind of thing and offers it as a solution for many things so maybe see if he is around on the forum a little later today.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

you could flash the Global Generic or UK firmware to your phone thus should add the app BUT this could void the warranty and also there might not be just limited by software but by the "great FIREwall of china" :smileysilly: that might block this app to work

I don't have this phone but it seems to work with flashtool, get the firmware here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1537296

and this is how to flash

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/32760

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
uliwooly

check this out

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/34424

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks,

Am I brave enough to do this... following instructions is OK but understanding what I am doing is a different matter.

Changing to earlier kernels etc. means a degree of knowledge I as yet, do not have. If you are in China, can I send the phone to you? :smileyhappy:

It would be a smart move to find out if there is someone with a UK branded phone in China using Google Play...

I looked around inside the menus and found a specific reference to the file system being set for China.

A.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I am not in China (good old US of A :smileyhappy: ) it wouldn't hurt to try it out, I know the great firewall of china block a lot of apps and settings, it just might work.

Anonymous(anon)

I am not sure that China is stopping access to users with overseas SIM cards. There are plenty of people saying that they can access when their UK/US SIM is installed.

I also think that I will have access to the software for what I think are the three stages:

1. Unlocking the boot-loader

2. Rooting the phone

3. Flashing a new ROM

However, I do not know whether there are other measures in place to stopChinese phones from gaining access to Google Play etc. Who knows? Also, I just have too many questions asa newbie to hassle the experts all the time.

This is still a lovely phone though.

A.

Anonymous(anon)

I have downloaded the APK file for Google Play, tranferred it to the XS and run the installation process. tapping the icon presents me with the need to add and account. Selecting yes results in the window closing and nothing else happening.

A friend has just bought an HTC here in China with Google Play installed and working.

Question: has Sony stopped access to Google Play on its phones in China so we have to use Sony's own PlayNow?!

A.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

why are you listing unlocking the bootloader, you don't have to do so to debrand. there are some google's services that aren't offered in certain countries, so it is the great firewall of china that is blocking certain features like youtube. Remember that PlayNow doesn't offer that many apps. I would suggest you debrand your phone, the apk might work on that htc but not on yours, just give it a shot.

Anonymous(anon)

I have been kindly sent this uliwooly.

I asked, "If I follow the process below, will this process give me the apps. I need?"

Finally, is there a reliable source for Flashtool other than the official site, which, you guessed it, is blocked in China.

A.