Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Xperia S GPS Problem

Thank you for your information, I am an X10 user (still) and I rely on the GPS of the phone almost everyday and for hours at a time so the first reviews of the S are really discouraging.

Sometimes I wonder, when they decide to sell a device for $700, have they tested it first to see if it actually works?

Apart from the GPS fiasco, how do you like the device. Is it "night and day" difference from the X10?

One time poster
intellix

Xperia S is way way lot better in terms of overall performance and the biggest wow factor is the Screen.

The display is simply awesome. I saw some comments on the forums and other reviews suggesting it is worse than Galaxy S2 and Iphone4s, but frankly speaking  the display is lot better than Galaxy S2 even though Galaxy has Super Amoled screen. Believe me the display is awesome and the color quality is true to life. Overall I love the build and the phone.

But the let down factors are

1) GPS -- The main disappointing factor for me

2) Battery life -- Although I am slowly moving towards 16-17 hours without charging. It will get better if you use a bit conservatively. I am trying to find out rogue services (and same discussed in XDA as well) which apparently are sipping away juice when the battery is in standby.

I believe this is a simply great phone. But Sony needs to resolve the issues which initial users are pointing out.....issues like the GPS :smileysad:

As I said, I really hope I dont need to sell off the phone for something else......but will probably do so if no firmware updates to fix the GPS OR the rumored ICS update is coming soon.

Anonymous(anon)

As you said earlier... I wouldnt hold my breath on ICS solving any issues. SONY Ericsson is known to create more issues with their updates than fixing the ones that people already complain about.

I know how you feel because I ve been there with my N8.

There is a roumor though that a bug fix is coming for the S. Since there is  "radio silence" from SONY, it is probably not true. I assume that they are going to pretend that there is really no problem with the GPS and you should send it in for a check up (as usual).

I hope they fix it so you can enjoy your new phone! Good luck! and keep us posted!

Anonymous(anon)

i just called support the guy i spoked to..told mee that he had not heard about the problem before???

my phone does the same gps stops after 5-30 min and then i wont log on again,,,then i have to shut down the phone before it can log on again:smileysad:

One time poster
maRRRco

Mail Sony support it terrible, they always say not to know the problem you are showing.

They don't know nothing, probably they didn't see never their Xperia phones ihihih :smileylaugh:, or at least, don't use them.

Just for fun, a nice title for this discussion:

" The sound of silence"

Anonymous(anon)

Hi, First time today I tried navigation. O2 UK on Wisepilot and Google Navigation and each time lost GPS signal after only a few minutes. GPS and Data is enabled, nothing else. Also using Wisepilot navigation screen reverts sometimes to full screen menu mode. Initial GPS fix is super fast, alas when you start driving these problems start. Frustrating and dangerous.

Loving the phone otherwise, however if this issue is not fixed I will be cancelling this new phone contract and Sony would have lost a new customer, period.

One time poster
Oskar-GPS

Hi All,

There is a problem in SW version 6.0.A.3.62 that in some networks causes the GPS receiver to lose the GPS fix after about 5-50 minutes. Then you need to reboot the phone to get a GPS fix again.

The problem is fixed in SW version 6.0.A.3.67.

This is not related to the GPS problem reported on the 2011 series of XPERIA phones.

//Oskar

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks for email with your reply. However my phone is running software 6.0.A.3.67 out of the box when I picked it up yesterday. Apparently then, this has not fixed my GPS problems as posted with many others here and on XDA forum.

One time poster
maRRRco

Hello Oskar

i not even want to know what concern network to gps running ... but, why in xperia S the problem was fixed in a while, and we are still waiting since 6 months a firmware for the 2011 series ?

i believe someone have to give an explenation for this

are we B series customers?

i know many italian boys with Xperia S and with the new firmware 67, they don't lose signal every 5 minutes also with data disable, so the solution has been introduced for them, and not for us.

Sony, nice behaviour, congratulations !!! :smileyangry:

Anonymous(anon)

My XS came out with .62, after reading all the good test results of Cholek3 on XDA (He is on .67).

I have flashed my device to .67 UK version ( The update is not out in my country.).

I did some quick testing (45 minute drive) and did not have any problems.

Normal i did freeze with 5 minutes max 20 minutes.

So it looks like the minor update did work.

I will do some more testing tommorow.