Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Xperia NFC tags

....selling experience huh? it seems that some regions or networks will be having a not so good experience after all :smileyconfused: Another thing how will the user even test if the NFC reader built in the unit and the HDMI port is working properly, as much as the company assumes everything is ok there are still factory or handling defect out there, am i right?

Sony Xperia Support
Sam

SIM free or not it is still brought in through one network or another so is still subject to negotiations with the networks involved. The cost does differ slightly around the world and even between networks in the same country in some cases. Bear in mind that i am not saying that it was pricing that lead to this particular decision as I am not privy to these discussions, this is simply an example of one of the reasons it is done is some cases.

As a side note, I do agree with you, however it is not always in our control.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

my point actually! specially for online buyers an additional $1 is very cheap compared to the trouble of ordering online again and for some travelling and visiting the nearest sony shop just to buy a tag. So there goes your so called "EXPERIENCE" is it nice or not, i think we all know the answer.

One time poster
hellraiser6662

1$ for a tag not in England its 19£ for 4 thats £5 a tag. I have also notice that apps are more £ on Google market than other places & Sony's app site play is way over the top £3 a app on google its 99p. Anyway sony should do a promotion contact them for a free smart tag with your code from phone easy and have that for a limited time. As the tags are very hard to get hold of that the moment in England mine are on back order.

Anonymous(anon)

oh well i guess this is the best thing to do.....

Anonymous(anon)

You can certainly get NFC Tags for $1, but don't expect them to work with the "SmartTags" application - I certainly couldn't, anyway. There are alternative applications available in the Google Play shop that allow you to assign custom actions to NFC tags though.

For what it's worth, I've documented my first experiences with NFC on my Xperia in a couple of blog posts - they might be of some help to somebody:

http://alastaira.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/fun-with-nfc-part-one-reading-writing-nfc-tags/

http://alastaira.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/fun-with-nfc-part-two-performing-actions-with-nfc-tags/

Forum Legend
uliwooly

thanx for the info :smileyhappy: any word on the Ion release date?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

Sony didn't include any NFC tags in my Xperia S package here in denmark, but they "officially" said that was a packaging mistake, so when I called their support hotline, they shipped the missing NFC tags to me.. So now I have two NFC tags :smileyhappy:

Quick question though, does anyone know if you can turn on/off the autosync setting with NFC tags? I can't seem to find it and these NFC tags are pretty much useless if you can fiddle with the autosync setting the same way you do with wifi, bluetooth etc.

Oh, being able to select which network to connect to is also desireable.. When I want to save battery I disable the WCDMA (3G) on the phone and only use GSM, because having that running all the time sucks power like nothing else..

Anonymous(anon)

I just wrote up a blog post on how to write some generic NFC tags to work exactly the same way as Sony's SmartTags - saved me £15!

http://alastaira.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/fun-with-nfc-part-three-make-your-own-sony-xperia-smarttag...

Anonymous(anon)

apparently o2 uk are the best for bundles as they put the smart headset (not wireless:-( ),hdmi cable and 2 nfc tags in their boxes.

kinda annoying in a way for me as i only got an HDMI cable with mine because i went through carphone warehouse because they had it a day earlier (damn impatient me)