Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
WinterStars

XPERIA S : Reviews and Reception

So, The reviews are coming in fast. The reception is far from stellar but let us discuss....

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/sony-xperia-s-review/

Read and comment.

Things that will surely disappoint arc users...

"The Xperia S creates JPEG files that are around 25 percent bigger than those from an iPhone 4, even though they contain 240 percent more pixels. So you can zoom in further on an Xperia S image, but what will you find when you get there? Either Sony is callously wasting the power of Xperia S' higher resolution Exmor R sensor, or they're deliberately maxing out on compression in order to disguise the fact that the sensor is noisy. Either way, the resultant image quality is designed for superficial viewing only, and we'd still rather shoot on an aged iPhone 4 (let alone a 4S)."

"There's an issue with the navigation buttons too. The touch-sensitive spots for Back, Home and Options are nowhere near their corresponding icons in the translucent bar, and they're unmarked, save for three barely visible silver dots. Not knowing where precisely to aim your finger initially results in a lot of mis-hits, and the buttons themselves aren't particularly responsive, but you do get used to them after three or four days. Virtual buttons might be preferable, but there's no way they could come with the promised upgrade to Android 4.0 -- that would make the design of the lower part of the phone completely redundant"

"When sized up against a long rubric of criteria, rather than just its entertainment credentials, there's little to make the Xperia S a compelling purchase"

Hmm... I think we never got the phone we were discussing so passionately about here ...

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/27088?start=0&tstart=0

For me one thing that disgusts me is the round thick backside, and the stupid buttons. I already mentioned before that some chaps using the phone were having problems and I think engadget faced the same issues.

One time poster
WinterStars

Re: XPERIA S : Reviews and Reception

Here is another review by slashgear

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-xperia-s-review-07217176/

"For the moment, the Xperia S is a solid phone but not a stand-out one, and that doesn’t bode well when HTC’s One Series is imminent and Samsung’s much-anticipated Galaxy S III is in the pipeline".

Slashgear too had a problem with the buttons...

Sometimes we’d find ourselves aiming for the transparent section and having to double-stab to make sure we actually got the button we were aiming for.

Sony would like us to believe Android 2.3 Gingerbread is good enough at launch for the Xperia S. It’s not.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Even engadget share more or less my view on the new Xperias

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/sony-xperia-s-review/

"Could the Xperia S be your first Sony-branded phone? It you're all about media consumption, and if you're prepared to wait while Sony makes its cloud-based platforms more coherent, then the Xperia S is a great device. The display and the speaker are absorbing and addictive. The battery life is excellent, the processor is a good fit and the absence of expandable storage shouldn't weigh too heavily if you get the 32GB option.

On the other hand, if you make more varied demands of your smartphone -- like excellent build quality, pocket-friendly slimness or photos you can enlarge -- then things get more complicated. US pricing has yet to be announced, but the 32GB version of the Xperia S is going for upwards of £430 ($680) SIM-free in the UK, or £370 pay-as-you-go on the Three network. Similar money could fetch you a legendary all-rounder like the Galaxy S II, or stretch to a 16GB Galaxy Nexus with an HD screen and better build quality, or -- very soon -- an HTC One S, which promises a cutting-edge Qualcomm S4 processor and abetter camera. When sized up against a long rubric of criteria, rather than just its entertainment credentials, there's little to make the Xperia S a compelling purchase."

"Previous Xperias, such as the Neo, suffered from excessive image compression, and that's still unfortunately an issue with the Xperia S. There's no option to change the JPEG settings to create bigger, prettier files comparable to what you'd get on the Galaxy S II or iPhone 4. The default compression has improved considerably since the Neo, with 12-megapixel stills averaging a file size of 3MB, but that's still not enough."

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
WinterStars

Another review by phone arena

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-S-Review_id2970

Problems with buttons

We had a ho-hum experience with these buttons - the transparent strip that is a trademark of the new Xperia line lights up with the Android navigation symbols like a back arrow or home, but the keys are three teeny-tiny dots above the respective icon lit up in the strip, and are very easy to miss. You have to tap precisely on the miniature dot, and they are not very responsive to boot, making us tap two or three times to register an action very often.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Issues so far on the new Xperias

1. Over picture compression
  2. OVER priced
  3. unresponsive capacitive buttons
  4. sealed battery
  5. poor build
  6. no micro SD card
  7. micro SIM card
  8. old CPU
  9. still 2.3.7
  10. TFT instead of OLED or AMOLED or SAMOLED
  11. not bluetooth 4.0
  12. Too thick
  13. pointless clear bar (was it really necessary make the phone longer just for that clear bar?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
WinterStars

We never got the phone we discussed so much ... Instead we got some thick slab, fussy buttons, no SD, no removable battery, Old SW.Overcompressed pictures, unwanted bezel at the bottom.

What is the back cover doing there when the micro SIM can be inserted from the side. Just added to the thickness.

Granted, the display is gorgeous, the antistain tech is cool.

One time poster
WinterStars

I agree to this list. But I really hate the bottom bezel, and the round backpanel.

I don't mind the micro SIM though. We know that the SD card is slow, but for MP3 and Video we don't need the speed of eMMC. So maybe the snaps can be stored to eMMC and then later moved to SD, so that the camera can do the "shot to shot in a second or less"

Anonymous(anon)

Something tells me that the next phone is going to sing the same tune...I find the non removable battery another really annoying "feature" of these series of phones...

The problem for me is that I dont know where else to turn for a phone... I dont like HTCs, LG is out of the question, and I am scared because I am leaning towards Samsung... I ve had my share of Samsungs and I dont think they worth the headache. Motos have a question mark right now as I am not quite sure what s going on with this company. The radios alone on those phones worth the price but after the latest developements... I am not very optimistic.

So back to SONY... the S price is forbidding especially after the latest reviews (and thank you both). I ll wait for the P reviews then...

One time poster
WinterStars

I would say hold on for a little while...

I would have picked up the S if I liked the design, but unfortunately the design didn't appeal to me :smileysad:

Anonymous(anon)

I think I know what you re saying... If it was housed in an "ARC like design" it would be a different story, but that clear strip really puts me off. I tried really hard to like it, but I cant see myself with this phone. Again... if it was free or with $100 subsidy from my carrier I would take it, but I wont spend $700 for this.

I put a new ROM and kernel now on my X10 and I think that will hold me for a while.