Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Special characters / Encoding issues

I had an update this morning. So the new build number is : 6.0.A.3.67

And the problem is not solved :-(

Anonymous(anon)

I made another test with a HTC Desire.

The message should be : ça va plutôt.

The special characters are really broken! I had the same result with an iPhone, so I didn't post SS of the iPhone

DSC_0025.jpg

Community Manager
Johan

It's being looked into by developers as we speak, but I don't know if/when it will be any changes made yet. I'll post as soon as I know.

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

If it's operators' fault, I don't know what can we do... I think they won't want do anything to fix that because it looks to be good with major phones (iPhone and Samsung in France).

I'll send a message to my operator to know if they use completly the GSM standard. I think it could take a long time to have a clear response! ^_^'

I've made a test with a simple Nokia phone and a Motorola Beam (another simple phone) and, with my operator there's no problem with special chars. I have the issue only with my Xperia S (and Xperia Arc, Xperia Mini Pro from my family).

Anonymous(anon)

As promised, the result of the test with a HTC Sensation

We can see the "Ç" is not transformed to "ç"

And, with the message "Ça va plutôt", we can see the same result like on the iPhone.

2012-03-28_01-23-21.png

The HTC is on another operator... So, I do think it's a Xperia specific issue.

Anonymous(anon)

Hello Sony!

Up for this thread! What solution can we expect for latin users? French, Italian, Spanish...

Anonymous(anon)

I have the same problem and many french people have the same problem. It would be nice if sony fix it with a little upgrade because I don't want to wait the upgrade to ICS (in may I think) !!

Anonymous(anon)

Bad news and good news!

• Good news : I upgraded my old Xperia Arc with official OTA upgrade of ICS! And Sony has added an option "Convert national chars" in SMS app. So "ç ô ê..." will become "c o e..."
  • Bad news : If you don't check this option, the message is broken as on Gingerbread version

So, I hope it's just a temporary fix and a true fix is planned!

Screenshot of the option in ICS and another of the result in a HTC Sensation

2012-04-05_13-43-33.png screenshot_2012-04-05_1342.png

Forum Legend
uliwooly

what do you mean official ICS OTA?

first ICS hasn't been released

second it won't be released OTA

the only ICS from Sony at this moment is Alpha and Beta ROMs

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

Ohhhh I'm so sorry! It's the build 4.0.2.x! A confusion with Android 4.0 when the phone push the update it said "update to 4.0.2.x" so I thought it was ICS :smileyconfused:

So the good and bad news are still the same ^_^