Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Special characters / Encoding issues

Hello,

I'm a French user of the Xperia S. I have a lot of problem with special caracters like : ç ô ê... When I send a SMS to an iPhone with these special caracters, I can't read it. With another Android Phone, it's ok. With some old phones ok and with some other, not ok...

I have tried to change the keyboard and the SMS app and the problem is the same...

With a Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus, I have send SMS with special caracters on iPhone and severals phones and there is no problem to read them...

Can we expect an upgrade? Or, there is an option to fix that...

Thanks

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Special characters / Encoding issues

I hope Sony planned to fix that :-(

I've tested with a Galaxy Nexus (ICS) and it's ok!

Anonymous(anon)

I tested with an Xperia Mini Pro (an old Smartphone now!) and it has the same issue :-/

Sony, can you help us??

EDIT : I tested with Chinese layout and all characters displayed well on the others devices....:smileyconfused:. Maybe I have to travel in China ^_^

Anonymous(anon)

I tested W/ Xperia Arc 2.3.4 and same bug... Although xperia s has currently 2.3.7

I hope I'm not the only French who is interested by this bug :-(

Anonymous(anon)

Nobody from support? Markus?

:smileysad:

Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Sorry for the slow reply. I am going to try an recreate this here and will let you know how we go. I believe some of the other Support Team is also working on this so we should have an answer for you soon.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Ok I have not had a chance to replicate this, however from what I have read here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3393 it looks to be a bit of an Android restriction. The good news is that Handcent seems to have resolved the problem for a lot of people. I know it’s not the best solution but the only option I can offer at this stage.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Community Manager
Johan

What build number are you running on?

Menu > Settings > About phone > Build number.

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey

Anonymous(anon)

Hello Johan!

My build number is 6.0.A.3.62

As I know, Samsung hook the message stock app. Before Xperia S, I had a Galaxy SII and no issue with SMS.

For information, if you want to reproduce the issue :

• From Xperia S, send this message : Salut, comment ça va ? Tu rentres plutôt
  • To an iPhone (iOS 4, 5 or above), or a HTC Sensation (2.3.5) and all special characters will not be displayed or the message totally corrupt. In some dumbphones, you can have the problem too!

For this, you have to use your phones in French with FR layout on the keyboard.

If I can help you more, let me know!

Anonymous(anon)

Hello!

Have you managed to reproduce and identify the bug?