Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Sony Xperia S + Linux (Ubuntu 64bit) File transfer

hi everyone, i have been having issues transferring any kind of files (mp3, video, photos) from the Xperia S and to the Xperia S. Before i was able to copy from and to with many issues (but i was able to copy).it was slow like hell now i am unable to copy to or from the phone.

Things i tried

1. i unmount the sdcard and remove the cable then tried again (failed)

2. i remove the cable directly and connect again (failed)

3. Restarted the phone and connected the cable (failed). when i did step 3. Ubuntu does not even detect the phone.

4. Changed usb port (failed)

5. restart my linux box and connected the phone (failed)

i get error

what can the community propose me now. please

thank you

n ya am still on gingerbread. my SI not in the ICS list till now so cannot update officially. given all the issues am having with phone (low earphone volume, slow file transfer), i want to root

can someone tell me what are the official app that are affected with the rooting as i will lost the keys? thank you again.

Trustee
Markus

Re: Sony Xperia S + Linux (Ubuntu 64bit) File transfer

Would all this work better/fine when using e.g. a PC with Windows? Do you have the option to try this?

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

now that i installed ICS i cant even find my phone with ubuntu. using windows is a no for me. but i tried it with XP in virtualbox and it works. but i dont want to use windows. why cant this work with ubuntu. afterall android is linux, isnt it?

Trustee
Markus

Yes it is but it's officially not supported in ubuntu so we cannot guarantee this will work.

Best case scenario is that you try and it works. If it doesn't there's nothing we can offer in terms of troubleshooting I'm afraid.

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Dear Markus,

I am sorry but there is not mention of the exclusion of support for Linux in the warranty conditions, at least in the French ones.: http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/common/warranty_phones_FR_24.pdf

The MTP layer of ICS that appears to be customized by Sony, breaks the MTP support for Linux. Android can be connected to Linux OSes.

Sony, as being the provider of the OS, MUST support it on the OSses it is supposed to work.

So to sum up, your answer is not acceptable to me.

The LibMTP fails to connect to the XPeria X with ICS. I tested it on Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian SID.

What is the solution to make the MTP support work as expected on the XPeria S?

One time poster
seyed

Dear Markus;

I agree with gabouel and I have the same problem as aatish.

I am a GNU/Linux user (Ubuntu-12.04) and an owner of a Sony Xperia P. I have recently updated my phone software to Android-4.0.4 ICS and It's really great. But the thing that I can't do any USB file transfer between my computer and my smartphone is really annoying.

Please provide a solution (PC-Companion for Linux), or at least provide some technical information about the customized MTP that Sony is using on it's phones with the PC-Companion software, so maybe we can come up with a solution ourselves.

I've been a Sony-customer for so many years and I really think that we (Linux users) deserve some support.

One time poster
Chas-Ubuntu-ARC

n your Android settings go to the Xperia tab - enter - press connectivity- Press USB connection mode- select Maass Storage Mode [MSC]  plug your device into linux laptop USB and go from there.

Chaeckout WebActionHero.com for the Action Enterprise

One time poster
seyed

There is NO such settings as Mass Storage Mode in : Settings => Xperia => Connectivity.

I believe you are talking about Android-2.3 Gingerbread, but we are talking about Android-4.0.4 ICS.

One time poster
NickoPen

Got it to work (after much fustration).

1. install gmtp (sudo apt-get install gmtp).

2. put phone into usb-dev mode (it doesn't work in normal mode! who knows why.)

3. plug phone into usb 2.0 port.

4. run gmtp

5. click connect a few times, with a random combination of dismissing the PC companion installation popup on the phone.

5.a. eventually it connects, after lots of error messages.

5.b. Every other ICS android phone I've tried (e.g. GS3) just works straight away - what did Sony do to this to make it such a pain?

6. Copy files to and from device, ignorning the error that comes up after EVERY single file transfer (again, ONLY happens on my Sony phone, not other ICS devices).

7. Go spend $200 (more than half the price of the phone!) on a Windows liscence and reboot into windows for the sole purpose of syncing files with your android device without the pain of whatever Sony did to the Xperia S so it didn't sync over MTP as nicely as every other ICS device out there.

7.a. Ditch the phone and buy something else.

One time poster
fredrik

Try to install the latest version of libmtp and gmtp, and see if it works better.

Just add Olci PPA https://launchpad.net/~olci/+archive/ppa1

I can connect my XS to gmtp and Ubuntu 12.04 without usb-dev mode. However I have not tried to transfer files to the XS with gmtp, usually I use Airdroid instead, but I have managed to transfer files to my Nexus 7.