Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Adviser
Sony&Google

Jelly Bean Update for Xperia S/SL, Acro S

Hey guys... Jellybean update for these phones will be released on early May; but I did already have Jelly Bean updated apps by Sony Xperia that I downloaded on XDA Developers. All these apps don't need ROOT.

Anyways... my reaction to the new apps wasn't that wow, but I did like the new UI but why did Sony removed the pinch to unzoom all small icons on the homescreen? They can keep this feature and in the same time add a new look to it. And also, no new features are installed. the new infinite viewer is great, especially with the contacts, but I did notice that Sony used the white and green Jelly Bean themed colors for the messaging app, although not as accurate as the real 4.2 Jelly Bean look. I wished that they have included the grey border colors of the real Jelly Bean message, because all white just sucks. The white and gray default keyboard doesn't match it at all. The new WALKMAN UI though is great, but still had some of the old bugs like downloading the wrong music info. (e.g. after downloading music info, i get the same title of the song in 2 songs; even though I change it, it reverts back to the downloaded one after a phone restart) which made it bad. Sound quality of the WALKMAN app doesn't really stand out... I recommend downloading third party music player apps to play music louder and more clearer (headphones, earphones sound quality)

(Things to hate)

No Facebook Home even though Sony Xperia has deep Facebook integration.

No swipe notifications on the new lockscreen!

Camera not updated to Cybershot as seen on forums, etc... means, no HDR!

Slow widget mover on homescreen! Jelly Bean feature that widgets will move out the way when placing a new widget on top of it, well I can say that it takes time to responde to even make it move out the way!

Facebook extension for Timescape doesn't update anymore!

Slow autofocus during some light conditions... considering that it uses an Exmor R lense.

Phone gets laggy sometimes, means that it cannot handle multi tasking. (need to restart, download mobile boosters, ROOT to debloat apps)

Slow autofocus of video camera, and I don't know which focus mode is faster (e.g. Single, Infinite, or Face?)

No settings to control the battery draining light on the bottom of the phone (Xperia NXT Series) I really want to disable the light from time to time, especially when out doors... not only to save battery but it is also useless.

Bad Sony Support (e.g. taking time in responding, or updates of mobile phones... but when there, no help at all) really makes me feel bad cuz I am a happy Sony user.

Overheats too much.

12mp quality not available in widescreen mode, only the 9mp.

No video trim feature as seen on older Sony Ericsson devices.

Bad pre installed picture editor... reduces the picture to a smaller resolution, lack of features, stickers, warps, shading. still need to install a third party one. Because as much as possible, some users like me wants to save up on memory and only use features coming from the phone and save up on memory to prolong battery life.

new boot animation is cool, startup slow.

lack of useful widgets and features.

not so good icons (they should have used default android icons instead of making their own)

(things to love)

beautiful display

and design of the new homescreen and wallpaper and also the new boot animation.

everything there is on a Sony device, beauty and luxory designs.

new gallery, movies and walkman look.

design of Sony phones.

As you guys can see, that these are not just about the jellybean; it is also about the phone's hardware.

but i am looking forward to the realy jellybean update, hopefully there would be new features that i have not yet discovered.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Jelly Bean Update for Xperia S/SL, Acro S

buzz off dude ..let the update come first n then u can review it ...

One time poster
LuCkEyBoY

As 100rabh791 says, let the update come, cause that problem's ur refering we're in beta phase, now its normal that was modified.

Rookie
Prometeo24

Once, I was in a forum of another company and received an "earlier" ICS update.

Obviusly it had it bugs, the company warned us: "we do not take responsability for bugs, we are not forcing you to participate, but if you want, we really aprecciate it and will take into account your feedback"

So....It's wotrhless to make such an accusation from a Beta.

Anyway thanks a lot for your feedback, I'm glad to know that soon my phone will recieve the update, and hope the camera to improve. Besides that, must admit that Xperia S (with ICS) is really a good phone.

Adviser
Sony&Google

Sorry for all the accusing or other things said... It was just a review of all the new apps installed, cuz I found out that Jelly Bean smoothness doesn't mostly come from the software, but also from the apps. The new Google Play loads up fast now comparing to the old one, new menu screen also loads up fast. (when I re installed the old ICS Home.apk it was a bit slow compared to the new Xperia Z Home.apk) Thumbnails on Album app loads app fast now. And take note that my Xperia S isn't rooted to get this features, I just downloaded these apps from XDA, so I am still using stock ICS. As for me, I did extract my Xperia S' features (apps) from it's system/app directory and installed them on my older Xperia Arc S, and some of my friends Xperia Mini's and they did not show any problems. So if this was done to the same Jelly Bean Xperia apps that I have downloaded, it came from the official one, the Xperia Z one. And it means that it came from the official one because you can install it without root, but cannot install it on other branded phones (only xperia phones) just like what I did to my old SE Xperia, both were not rooted and worked without problems. It's really frustrating to see that the JB update changes every month, and when the update comes... still many bugs. How is it that taking all the time they need to fix and create the update, still causes problems. But the new feature when widgets move out the way, is really slow. Check other and officail JB reviews if you're not satisfied. You would also see some problems. My sincere apologies to this site, and to all you guys.

And due to this problems, I am forced to buy a new Xperia phone. I am planning to get that Z, maybe in the next few months... And hopefully, more support for that new phone.

One time poster
LuCkEyBoY

Sony&Google ur still not doing sense in ur explanation, first your talking about installing apps from Xperia Z to Xperia S, as all the apps have some "little" mods to work with some phones (inside Xperia phones), second, the Xperia Z apps that you installed are working under Jelly Bean and not under ur ICS Xperia S, so once more, there are a little mods required to work with ICS, so why your doing a "Jelly Bean" review with a ICS running? You must wait for the upgrade to have sure of that, cause i already check some reviews in Youtube of Beta Jelly Bean, without the problems your speaking about.

One time poster
delite

Sony to release Jelly bean update to Xperia S, SL, Arco, Ion end of May.

They released update for Xperia  P, E, Go today

Inhabitant
DavidJay

Please can we use 1 thread for Jellybean. This is getting hard to follow.

We also need to limit the moans as its not working.

Moderators over to you

One time poster
ercan

Sony does not care about us. Does not answer the questions.

Rookie
Prometeo24

@LuCkEyBoY I take your point. Do you have any info about a release date? We all agree it will be in early May? Honestly, I do not know what to believe...

@delite As far as I knew, JB Update was not supported by Xperia P, only for Xperia S and the others phones like T and Z.