Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
HistoryStudent

Help, please: Wi-Fi connection problems with Sony Xperia S

Hi,

I have spent quite a long time trawling through the posts on this forum, trying to find an answer to my problem.  But the comments are so prolific - I'm not sure whether there are any answers contained within them.

Since the update to ICS, I have had problems with Wi-Fi connection (surprise, surprise).

I'm in the UK, have owned the phone since it was released (March 2012), and until the upgrade in July, I was 100% happy! 

The phone will now no-longer remain connected to Wi-Fi - at home, work, or anywhere else for that matter.  It connects easily and I can access the internet with only a small amount of 'limited access' problems - re-booting the phone and router (if at home) usually solves that issue.  Staying connected is the real issue.  After a short period, or once the phone lapses into 'sleep', the connection is often dropped (sometimes after only a few moments, and sometimes 10 or 15 minutes will pass before it happens) and is not restored until I've accessed 'Settings', selected the 'W-Fi' option, and once the screen with all available networks is visible, it magically reconnects without any further input from me (sometimes obtaining IP address, and sometimes just reconnecting straightaway).  All is fine again, until the connection drops again... and we start all over again.   Every now and again, the Wi-Fi router I'm connected to shows as 'saved' on the phone, and this is only remedied by rebooting the phone.

It makes listening to the radio on the internet almost impossible, as I have to repeatedly 'wake' the phone, go through the procedure above, reconnect the radio, and off we go again. 

I have tried installing an app to stop the phone from turning off Wi-Fi in sleep (Wi-Fi Keep Alive), and have enabled all the other workarounds - but still the problem persists.  It is starting to drive me around the bend... everytime I attempt to access any internet-based activity, such as Facebook or the like, I have to regularly re-connect to the Wi-Fi.  I have taken to turning off the Wi-Fi, and using mobile data access - but my contract allocation will soon be used up like that, and is no use for streaming activity like listening to the radio.   I don't think this issue is solely to do with the phone 'sleeping' anyway, as it happens even if I change the settings that the phone doesn't 'sleep' for some considerable time.  The Wi-Fi connection still drops.

This is really most frustrating.  I loved this phone, and several friends got it on my recommendation.  Now I wish I had got a different phone.

Any help, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

One time poster
Smailchenko

Re: Help, please: Wi-Fi connection problems with Sony Xperia S

I have the same issue , just wait for the next firmware update like me :smileyplain: , maybe Sony devs will wake up and try to fix it :smileyconfused:

Community Manager
Johan

Sorry to hear. Please share as much details as possible about router firmware, router settings, phone firmware, settings etc. And I will forward these to our developers.

Rookie
kbaleo

I have got the same issue, I even had it with 2.3. It is fairly simpel the wifi disconnects and reconnects, sometimes I even have to rescan or deactivate and reactivate my wifi on the phone. In rare cases the WIFI stays off and I'm forced to reboot my phone.

THis is a pure Sony related issue as my old samsung phone with gingerbread had no issues.

I should have stayed with the winning team :smileyhappy:

One time poster
achathli

I have the same problem with me sony xperia s it says "Authentication problem"

One time poster
BronH

I have the same problem. It started when I upgraded to ICS on Monday (7th Jan 2013).

The scary part is that your post was 3 months ago, and there have been other posts about the same issue since June/July last year when ICS rolled out...yet nothing has been done about it.

I loved Ginger Bread and prolonged updating the OS for so long...and now I wish I just stayed on GB.

It's very very frustrating as mine doesn't go back on when turning the Wifi setting on & off or forgetting the network & re-adding it. Yet in the Wifi settings, it shows its connected but I can't go online.

I have to restart my phone twice before it connects.

And then I lose connection shortly after that.

I don't want router solutions, as I can't fiddle with the works router. We need OS solutions/fixes...as before on GB this NEVER EVER EVER happened. I could connect to any Wifi easily without any issues.

Sony please get this problem sorted as it's so frustrating...throw the phone against the wall frustrating.

I loved the phone better on GB...it was more stable, functional & prettier (standard UI)

One time poster
sirme

I maybe found the solution:

- Your wifi mordem shoud be off.

- Turn on wifi on your phone (if it's connecting to any wifi network, just forget them to make the phone "wifi clean")

- Turn on your wifi mordem

the phone now should regconize your home wifi, connect it.

One time poster
virgorich

I recently purchased sony xperia sl mobile and facing the same problem.it is not even scanning my wi-fi network.& my another samsung mobile is scanning that wi-fi.so problem is with sony mobile.

please help.

Visitor
ChrisNO

I have the same problem! I just bought this phone and updated it straight from the box to the latest OS: Jelly Bean. It connects to open networks easily, but the ones I have saved becomes a problem! It just says authentication problem, even though I am positiv the password is correct - I haven't changed the setting on neither the phone nor the router. Everytime I go to a new place it's the same, I get the password and connect and it works perfectly. When I come back (to work, or the hotel room, or the café or my friends house) I only get authentication problem... I retry and retry, sometimes it suddently works, somtimes it doesn't. At home it never works anymore... Haven't been connected at home for a week...

HOPE SONY CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM SOON!

One time poster
milan12

hello there i also have the same problem, i recently updated my Xperia S to android version 4.1.2 but after updating i have the following problem,

1. Wifi doesn't turn on

2. phone is very slow

3. Its often keeps booting

I think SONY should check the updates before they release it to the users, this is really disappointing

i am looking forward to hear the solution to fix these problems.

regards,

milan