Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Connecting tv to phone via hdmi cable slows down phone badly

Hi,

I've recently bought Xperia S, and overall I'm very happy with the phone and one of the reasons I bought this specific model was separate HDMI output.

Unfortunately I seem to have some problems when i connect my phone to tv.

While i get video and audio, the phone seems to slow down dramaticly, the ui starts to get laggy ans way less responsive than it would be normally.

Actions like bringing the notification area or app browser are not fluid anymore.

Also games like "cut the rope", etc have very bad performance. it instantly gets fixed if i unplug hdmi cable out of the phone.

I'm not sure what is the reason, but TV always reports the signal as 1080p (i was expecting the phone would output 720p ?), my phone was bought in Poland and firmware version is 6.0.A.3.62.

The "signal" quality setting doesnt seem to do anything visible for me. i was thinking maybe its because phone does some upscaling? I've tried the setting for screen size 80%-100% in hdmi options - but it doesnt seem to have any visible performance impact on my phone sam as with signal quality setting which doesnt seem to do anything at all.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Connecting tv to phone via hdmi cable slows down phone badly

Ok, so this is tested on 2 TV's now of different brands - and every time the problem is reproductible, phone slows down when TV is connected.

Anonymous(anon)

Cant anyone from sony support give a hint what might be the problem ?

Community Manager
Johan

I just checked on my Xperia S, connecting it to a TV and played World of Goo. I must say I experience no lags or slow performance. Check if a software reinstall could fix your problem, and try again.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/update-service/

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey

Anonymous(anon)

I did software reinstall and had fresh wipe of everything - no effect unfortunatelly.

I was at sony shop today and i connected the phone to bravia TV - same effect so tv brand doesnt seem to make any difference.

The effect was like game dropped to 20fps from 60 fps. The salesperson said it might be because sending video to both outputs is more resource intensive but i belive this would not be the case here.

Any more ideas?

Anonymous(anon)

Ok, so i've found a "scientific" measurable way to test.

In quadrant (free test in market) i get following results:

Without tv plugged in: ~3100, flyby in room with stairs 30-50 fps

With TV plugged in: ~2700, flyby in room with stairs 20-25 fps so only 50% of what i get normally and there is visible frame skipping

can someone check that on your phone ?

Anonymous(anon)

Ok, someone from another forum (also user from poland) confirmed my results,

Quadrant scores dont show big drop, but FPS got slashed in half.

Can someone from sony support test this on ther version of firmware .67 maybe fixed this issue?

I bought phone specificly for HDMI usage so this finding is very problematic for me.

One time poster
grained

Hi I have the same problem but only when I connect to a TV that is able to control the phone via hdmi, using the tv remote.

when I connected it to an older model tv that didn't have that capability, the phone did not suffer from slows and working as usual.