Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Backup and restore problem

Hi,

I tried to restore a previous backup to test the feature in PC Companion. And the result is : It doesn't work. here is what I did :

- make a backup

- reset your Xperia S (using the repair function in PC Companion)

- restore your previous backup

- You have lost everything.

Tha backup is supposed to backup all your data, sms, music, contacts, parameters (display, ringtones...), bookmarks, etc. But nothing is restored. You are with a brand new Xperia S :smileyhappy:

Apps are on your Google account, so they can be restored, but what about all the modifications I made the screens, the sms, my ringtones, my bookmarks, my sync accounts (Exchange, Twitter, Facebook, Google, Foursquare, etc.)?

Have someone had the same problem?

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: Backup and restore problem

use this instead

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/161950#161950

it will work on your Xperia S

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
uliwooly

or you can use this

My Phone Explorer

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&hl=en

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

Hi,

I don't want to backup :smileyhappy: (OK, yes I want, but I will do it with Android Backup next time...), I want to restore my smartphone to the state of my previous backup with PC Companion.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

which app are you going to use? bc I'm not aware of any app that will backup widgets or that will restore your email and passwords, even if there was one, I wouldn't want an app to store my passwords.

Anonymous(anon)

Anonymous(anon)

OK, I checked in the PC Companion backup file and there is nothing about the system (home screens, alarms, etc.)

So, why make a backup that is absolutely useless, because all the images, contacts, pics, etc can be retrieve on the Google account and on Media Go?

How can I restore my previous state? Do I have to redo the whole thing that I spent 1 week to arrange? The Google account also isn't in the backup...

I hope I will never have to tell this to my customers : "Oh we have made a backup, but we only have the pictures of your cat. Hmm? What about  the 25 years of architecture projects you had before the crash? We don't have them. But the pics of your cats are safe :smileyhappy: "

Forum Legend
uliwooly

try the "backup & restore" app from the link I gave you, you will love it

Anonymous(anon)

And what about my previous backup? :smileycry: I have to download again more than 2Gb of data (Maps, apps, etc.)

Someone from Sony can answer me please?

Demigod
sushidushi

Anything on the SD card doesn't need to be backed up, as it will be unaffected by any software updates or repairs. And Google is just somethingu'll need to sign in to again once the update has been performed, so I am not sure what you'd want backed up there. If all your contacts are attached with Google, there is no need to back those up, but many people also have phone contacts, and these would otherwise be lost.

I am not aware of any way of fully restoring your phone to its previous state. There would, as uliwooly said, be security issues, and for any significant updates, the operating system is going to be changing, so it seems right to me that the user should make his own decisions.

That said, I know it can be a bit of a pain to restore your phone to how you like it, and I wouldn't repair the software for fun, but it can also be an opportunity to make changes and rethink things a bit.